CHAPTER 16-PARKER

Start from the beginning

Zion gave him another stern look and turned towards the rest of the Hawks. "Alright everyone. Take your positions, and keep your eyes peeled."

Everyone nodded in understanding, and dispersed to their decided posts. Parker rolled his eyes and made his way through the throng of people, to one of the columns half way through the hall. He leaned against the pillar and looked over the swarm of people. He kept his eyes on the Hawks as well.

Nyx was in the far corner across from him. She actually looked good in a gown, with metallic embellishments enhancing her personality—from what Parker had gathered about the hot headed girl— even more, too bad Zion was an idiot. It was a feat in its own that he had caught Ela's eye. A smirk tugged his lip up at the thought of her. She would have been the one to initiate things, definitely.

Sorry, Nyx. Parker thought. You'll have to be more forward than making goo-goo eyes at the back of his head.

As if on cue, Nyx looked to Zion, a longing look drooping her face. Parker had to glance away in order to hold back a laugh. Hanging with the Hawks was turning out to be more amusing than he could have imagined.

He turned his attention back to the guests and wait staff. "Huh." Parker murmured. His eyes latched onto a male staff member. The way he moved was off, and how he didn't keep his head down...Parker looked around for others like him, and just as he thought, there were a few scattered about. Barely conspicuous, but definitely not real staff members. He only noticed because they're like him—they look the part, and can act the part, but the way their eyes move around the room, the way the moved, and held themselves...they were up to something.

Parker let out a long breath and leaned more on the pillar. It wasn't his problem—not really. If the Hawks were so good at their job, then they should be able to figure it out for themselves. He glanced in Alya's direction and stood up straight.

Rowan was holding his hand out to her insistently, motioning for her to join him on the dance floor. Alya looked more annoyed than interested. Irritation prickled at Parker's skull. Without thinking, he strode over to them and slid in front of Alya.

"Care for a dance, m'lady?" He asked, holding out a hand.

Alya's mouth popped open, as if to say something. He smiled his best smile.

Alya raised a brow. Parker raised one back.

"Hey," Rowan started, but Parker spoke over him, to Alya.

"If you don't dance at least once, then your cover will be pretty flimsy." He nodded his head towards the dance floor. "You can check out the suspicious people better."

Alya looked to Parker's hand, then behind Parker's head, to Rowan, before she slipped her fingers into his palm. Before Rowan could protest, Parker swept Alya onto the dance floor, just as the music changed into a slower melody.

Rowan's voice cussed him out, but they were already too far away for him to do anything but mutter insults.

Parker's lip curled up as he smoothed the both of them into an opening in the center of the dance floor. "There, now we can see everything." He said, spinning Alya around.

"I'm sure that was the first thing you thought of." Alya replied, not thrown off in the least by the spin.

"Of course. Security is my primary objective in life." Parker drawled, holding her hand up in his left palm, and slipping his free hand over her waist. His fingers touched soft, warm skin that sent tendrils of fire up his arm. How could he have forgotten her sari-style gown?

"How professional." Alya said dryly, her eyes swiveled around the room, searching, as they started to sway.

"You know me. A perfect, professional, gentleman." The song picked up a bit and Parker twirled them with the flow of other dancers. He hadn't danced with anyone since he was ten—maybe eleven. Before the rebellion turned worse, there had been more music, and dancing, and food. He swallowed, banishing the memories. It wasn't the time to think of the past.