Chapter 18

Marina walked through Zack's home, intrigued by the contrasts she found in nearly every room. Despite an overarching masculine tone in the leather furniture and dark draperies, she saw pops of color and whimsy that added warm touches.

She couldn't settle as sexual fever still simmered beneath her skin, but the drive to Zack's had given her time to evaluate the evening. She'd believed herself ready for an op, able to handle whatever was put in front of her. How humbling, then, to realize that the sight of guns and dead bodies had done a number on her nerves.

"You're awfully quiet."

Zack moved behind her. She shivered—not from cold but from desire—before turning to meet his gaze. "I've got a lot to think about."

"Was tonight your first witness to a kill? I still remember mine."

"How do you do it?"

"You accept it's part of the job and that the work you're doing matters. What happened tonight was for the good of many, many people."

"I thought I could handle it. But—" Marina broke off, not sure what to say.

When he pulled her close, Marina wanted to move away. It was so much easier to dance out of his reach, but she knew, with absolute certainty, it was time to stay. She'd run before and she'd be damned if she was doing it again.

"I thought I could handle it. That I could do the job and compartmentalize the violence and the danger." Just like I thought I could compartmentalize you.

"It's not something to lock away," Zack brushed a lock of hair behind her ear. "It's something to hold to the light and deal with."

She wanted to believe him. But as she searched his face for some sign—some small piece of evidence—that he was damaged, Marina found the truth instead.

Zachary Keene was her salvation.

She lifted a hand to his cheek, touched when he turned to press a kiss to her palm. "There's light inside of you, Marina. It shines from you in your determination and courage and desire to help others. Nothing can take that away."

"I want you, Zack. I've never stopped wanting you." She pressed her lips to his, murmuring against them. "Even though I left, it killed me to walk away."

His gaze darkened, a mix of desire and concern. "Are you sure?"

She suspected she'd never know who moved first—all she did know was that something broke in that moment. And all her reasons for staying away vanished as if they'd never been.

In their place was a woman who wanted all he could give her and more.

He had the thin zipper of her dress undone, the gown already sliding off before she even realized it. "Smooth."

"You're the one who wrapped yourself up in a single piece of material." He bent down and captured her lips in a searing kiss as one hand roamed over her bared breast. "Thank you for that, by the way."

In moments, Zack had them back in his bedroom, his tailored tuxedo in a heap on the floor beside the bed.

It had been nearly a year since she was last with him, yet it took mere seconds to rediscover each other. The hard catch of his breath when she reached down between their bodies to grip the firm length of him. The sensual explosion against her skin as he plied his tongue over one of her breasts, then the next. The amazing fit of their bodies, matched in every way.

But it was the moment he filled her and began to move that Marina felt the first sign of tears welling in the corners of her eyes.

Zack stilled, the hard line of his jaw standing out in firm relief as he stared down at her. "What is it?"

Oh, how did she explain it? How did you explain a need so great—and so very, very deep—it made you wonder where you even began?

"Please don't make me say it. Just love me. Please."