Chapter 11

Zack used the party's bland chatter to his advantage, painting a distracted expression on his face. The whole damn town thought he was a playboy and he saw no reason to inform them otherwise. What he couldn't quite shake was the concern that Marina still hadn't returned. He was about to go after her when she reentered the room, winding her way toward him. "That was fun. Nothing like being shooed from the room by what appears to be hired help."

"Everything alright?" He leaned close, his lips at her ear.

"Of course. But keep an eye on the server by the door. Your ten o'clock. His gaze was a bit too sharp." She gifted him with a broad smile before running a sensual hand down the front of his tuxedo jacket. More than a few eyes shifting to observe them.

Zack used the audience to further his agenda and pulled her close, his hand low on her back while his fingers slipped over the curve of her backside. "Despite the intrusion, I trust your efforts met with success?"

She nuzzled his ear and Zack fought to remember the role he was playing. "Quite."

His next question died on his tongue as their host approached them, two champagne flutes in hand. "Keene. You must introduce me to your lovely companion for the evening."

Marina accepted the flute of champagne with a smile, although Kenilworth 's gaze had already drifted lower. Zack made the requisite introductions, his tone full of enough bite to ensure Kenilworth's gaze finally made the return trip to eye level.

If Marina was insulted by the blatant approval, she ignored it. Zack had to give her credit—her cool head and ability to deflect the less savory aspects of Bruce's perusal certainly gave her the upper hand.

She was brilliant, her ability to draw Kenilworth out in conversation a fascinating combination of subtle flirtation and bold smarts. She knew the man's business, could speak to several local real estate transactions and even gave him a tip for betting on an upcoming hockey game.

"I look forward to talking more later." Bruce bowed over Marina's hand, his lips lingering overlong on her skin.

It was only when her new admirer had departed that Zack gave in to the jealousy that dogged his heels. "Seduction by smarts. Impressive."

"After his lackey discovered me in his spare room, I needed to do some significant tap dancing."

"Do you think he's suspicious?"

"Not any longer, which is why Violet was such a helpful companion and why I gave old Brucie the full-on flirtation."

"You certainly did."

Her eyes flashed as bright as her smile before she leaned in, pressing her lips to his ear. "Are those the distinct notes of jealousy and possessiveness I hear, Mr. Keene?"

"It's practical concern for my partner."

"Hmm." Her breath floated over his ear before she pulled back and lifted her champagne.

Where had this woman come from? While he found her sexy in the extreme, her ability to slide into the role required for the evening was as impressive as it was scary. He might have cajoled Kensington to take his side in advance of this op, but he'd be sure to report back that she had an operative of the highest order on her hands.

Which meant there'd be other jobs without his protection.

That bleak thought filled him with something he couldn't name and he knew this was a bad time to suddenly get a conscience. Danger was a part of the job. Hell, it was something he thrived on.

So why did it seem to pale in comparison to being close to her again?

"You're amazing."

He could hear the intense longing that filled his voice and knew the real question that lay underneath.

Why did you leave?