Chapter 10

"I can't thank you enough for your help."

Marina had deliberately taken the hallway that lead to Kenilworth's office and ducked into a darkened bedroom that shared a wall with the office.

"No worries." Violet dug into a miniscule clutch before coming up with several safety pins. "I hate these things. I attend because it's good for business but I would much rather be curled up at home."

Marina had to cop to some considerable surprise that a woman who looked as glamorous as Violet Richardson liked her evenings in, but she knew looks could be deceiving. She'd had a non-existent social life for the past year, after all. While she'd told herself she simply had outgrown the need to go out night after night, Marina knew it was something more.

There was no reason to go out because no man had anything on Zachary Keene.

Marina used the time to press the woman for info about their host. When Violet knelt to help with the hem, Marina flipped on the small device in her purse, booting up in the presence of Kenilworth's office and the data housed there.

"Have you been in Dallas long?" Violet brushed the lines of the hem into place before standing.

"I'm only visiting."

"That's an incredible outfit for just visiting." Violet smiled before waving a small hand. "I'm in the business of love and I tend to see it in everyone, everywhere. I'm sorry to be nosy."

"No, no." Marina hesitated before blurting out her own question. "I've got a bit of nosy going on myself. I can't help noticing you're not here on a date."

"There hasn't been a lot of time to date as I've been working with my two friends to get our wedding business off the ground. Elegance and Lace is a full time job and then some."

"Of course."

"Between work and trying to get ingrained with the local community, dating has definitely taken a back seat. I've even resorted to doing battle with the guy who runs a neighboring architectural firm. We always manage a few rounds at our monthly business council meetings."

"Is he single?"

"Yes." Violet laughed. "And don't think my landlady and my business partners haven't notice. Unfortunately, he's surly and grumpy and completely unsuitable."

Marina wasn't so sure—especially at the heightened color that flooded Violet's cheeks—but kept quiet. What she couldn't quite stop, however, was the impression Violet's words evoked in her mind.

Foreplay.

At the mere thought, a series of erotic images assailed her, causing her breasts to tighten against the silky confines of her dress.

Her mind drifted to the promise she left unspoken while still inside Zack's home. She might have suggested there was room for negotiation but Marina knew full well her decision had already been made. She wanted Zack to strip the silk from her body and...

The image came to an abrupt halt as a harsh voice cut through the room.

"What are you doing in here?"