Chapter 1

"What do you expect for me to say?" I questioned Mia. She rolled her eyes and got up from the couch and headed to the kitchen. "Kai, stop acting like you aren't the least bit curious." I picked up my drink and followed her to the kitchen and sat down at the island. "Why should I be? He's obviously happy if he's engaged...im...happy for-" "BULLSHIT", Mia said cutting me off. "He was your first love. And it's been what..10 years? And you still compare every nigga you meet to him. You still occasionally lurk on his twitter and instagram. .come on, dude." I sighed while taking my shot, trying not to squinch my face from the burn trickling down my throat. For someone who was my sister, she was being really annoying right now. "Some times I hate that you're a fuckin bar tender. Don't bring your work home with you. I'm not one of your patients/customers. ....you can fix me another shot though." Mia shot me a glare then laughed as she grabbed my shot glass. "I'm just saying, Kai. Maybe seeing or at least speaking to him once might give you a little closure. I don't wanna have to fight a bitch at her wedding because my little sister decided to finally reach back out to her child hood love." I stood and went over to the stove to check on the pasta. "I mean, look how much you changed? You have a job, a car, a loft, and you finally got your ass in this kitchen. He doesn't even know you anymore. Why not show him what he could be missing?" "Because he denied the old me. Why should I give him the benefit of getting the new me?" She shrugged her shoulders in agreeance with me as she handed me my shot. "And you remember that time I reached out to him. He flat out ignored me." I threw back my shot, getting irritated by how many times I had gotten shot down by this guy. Like honestly, how was it worth it for me to throw my heart at him again hoping he would catch it? He's just gonna do the same shit he's done before. "I feel you. I just don't think it would hurt to see him." After she pulled the chicken out the oven she grabbed my shoulders and faced me towards her. "You know he come in that bar every Friday night. All I'm saying is just come in...see what happens. What's the worst that could happen by showing your face?" A lot. I thought to myself.

I always felt guilty because I was the one that was the idiot when Chris and I were together. I had broken up with him twice. And for the most stupid reasons. Everyone always said I was young and it happens, but why do I still feel this way 10 years later? How is it that I can feel this way and he doesn't feel anything? I mean, even mutual friends have said he doesn't understand why I was so obsessed with him. We were each others first loves and he didn't give a shit. This is why I dont want to see him..and if I do, I honestly don't know how I would react.

"I guess." I replied and stirred in the sauce. "Can we change the subject? Like how you just cheated on your man the other day and you still haven't said shit?" She sighed and threw her head back. "Stop bringing that shit up Kai." I smirked and grabbed the bottle of rum off the counter. "Oh nahhhh. We gone talk about this. Matter of fact. Hand me your shot glass." She groaned and handed it to me while sitting at the island. "What is there to talk about? It was one night...one mistake..I won't do it again. Boom, lecture is over". I smirked and handed her back the filled glass. "I'm not going to lecture you. I wanna know what are you gonna do. You have a great guy, Mia. And you fucked some dude out of spite." I stirred in the spices; shaking my head. She knows that I loathe cheaters..not that this was about me..I just don't get why she did it. "It wasn't spite, bitch. I just got caught up." "With some random ....right after complaining that Trey is never home. Oh." I turned around and faced her with my hand on my hip. "Quit fuckin judging me. I mean, how would you feel if you was left here while this nigga is so called working all the time. I get it. .you work at the plant, but how many fuckin hours are you picking up to where I only see you for like an hour out the day? And I work from home!" I laughed as I took a seat at the other end of the island. "Yall need the money though,cuz them student loans kickin Yall ass." "Yeah but we been had them student loans. He went from spending time with me all the time to living at work. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't working at all." I gave her a look of confusion as she took another shot. "He's picking up more hours but doesn't have anything to show for it. Bills still aren't getting paid. And he just started this for the last 2 months. ......I don't know". She began to look down at her hands. I always tried to not tell her what to do, because she never listened. But what kind of sister would I be to say nothing. "Talk to him. There's no harm in asking". "You think I haven't done that?" She replied in irritation. She began to pour another shot. "There's no talking to someone who blames you for the reason they have to work more. And when I accused him of something else...that's when.." she trailed off. I looked down, realizing she was speaking of when he hit her. It was a difficult situation because she was drunk and hitting him. But he didn't finally react until she said that. "Why are you with him?" I said aloud. I was initially just thinking it, but I couldn't help but ask.

She looked over at me, then back at her hands.

"Yeah, why are you Mia?"

We both jumped and turned around to see Trey leaning against the door frame.

Fuck.

I sighed and drank my shot as I stood up. "Um, hey" I said as I made my way out the kitchen. I decided I wasnt going to be apart of whatever was going on with them. But just in case something does pop off, I'll be upstairs.