Prologue

Voices.

I hear voices.

I open my eyes.

I'm lying in a field of grass. The sun overhead is shining brightly on my face, my hair blowing slightly in the wind. Above me are faces, looking down at me in concern.

"Are you alright?" "Where did you fall from?" "You gave us all a fright, appearing out of nowhere like that."

They suddenly begin to argue. The noise hurts my head.

I squint, confusion, running through my mind.

I fell?

The other guy - girl, sorry, - said I appeared, 'out of nowhere'.

I look more closely at the people surrounding me. They all appear to be children around my age.

But how old am I?

Sitting up, I look over myself, and the confusion continues to grow.

I'm small. I'm a child. I don't know how old I am OR what I am, as I discover that my ears are pointed.

The human children point and look at my ears, laughing, "Hey look! Pointy ears! He's an elf!"

"I'm not an elf," I mumble, my voice is soft and low. "I am..."

The children look at me expectantly.

My eyes roll up in my head as I begin to pass out.

The last thing I see is the child closest to me stretch out a hand towards me.

He asks,

"Are you alright?"

My head hits the grass before I can answer and everything goes black.