Chapter I

Lucas

It's midnight and I should be at home having some fun with Emily; yet here I am in the middle of the forest, sitting in the center of a flaming pentacle and strengthening my powers by absorbing the energy of the full moon. You're probably wondering what the heck I'm talking about so let me explain.

My name is Lucas Smith and I'm a wizard; but not just any wizard, I'm The Chosen One. The one said to have the power to stop a great evil that arises every Millennium or so. Sounds great huh? Wrong. It's not great. Especially when you constantly have to be looking behind your back for anyone or anything that might be after you.

Now, enough chit chat. I need to focus.

I take in a deep breath and then exhale. In order for this to work I need to concentrate on what I want. With my eyes closed I focus on the sounds around me as well as the smell and feeling of the forest and all things in it. As I continue to transition I begin to feel more and more intact with the forest. I can hear, see, feel and smell everything in it. From the sound of the howling wind to the feel of the energy coursing through the plants, I'm connected to everything in the forest.
This part wasn't needed to absorb the Moon's energy but with these power hungry beings after me I need to be vigilant at all times.

My energy is almost at its peak when I pick up an unwanted presence about 2 miles from where I am. With my eyes still closed I quickly focus all my senses on that particular presence. Through the eyes of a nearby owl I can see a large black wolf with glowing red eyes; it's smell is revolting, like rotting flesh. I can hear the animals running away in fear of it. Judging by its immense size I'd say its a werewolf, and it's heading towards me.

Just great! They couldn't wait seven more minutes could they?! I quickly jump up on to my feet and aim both my hands at the ground, I mutter a few words in Latin and all the fire surrounding me is sucked up into my hands. Before I run off I make a quick check to see how far the werewolf is and it's about half a mile away which leaves me with little time to escape. I sprint off as fast as I can, dodging the trees and jumping over stones and logs. But apparently tonight isn't my lucky night because the fog starts to roll in, causing me to miss a tree root and trip over it.

I manage to get back on my feet but it's too late, the werewolf is already here. I can sense its presence. I swipe at the air with my arm and the fog begins to clear away. I quickly scan the area around me and that's when I see it, the big black wolf. It stood directly in front of me, about 60 feet away. As it continues to approach me it shifts itself into a human and through the light fog I can make out the form of a man. I can tell he's dangerous and so I flick my wrists and a ball of lightning appears in both my hands, I then began to throw multiple balls of lightning at the ground around his feet.

I know what you're thinking, "You missed, Lucas" but no. I didn't. The forest ground is rich in metal and if I can charge them up with enough electricity it'll electrocute anyone or anything that steps on that area. Smart huh? You see, the key to magic is to have an open and creative mind.

My idea works because the man is now chuckling, thinking that I missed; and of course he continues to approach me, but the second he takes his first step electricity erupts from the ground and sends over 6000 volts of electricity throughout his body, causing him to drop to the ground. No worries, he's just temporarily paralyzed.

I am about to turn around and run off again but instead I run straight into someone's chest.

"Sshhh. Don't scream and don't panic. Just follow me and I'll get you to somewhere safe," says the person.

I could tell the person is a guy from his masculine tone and I don't know what it is but something in his voice tells me I can trust him, and so I do. He motions for me to run with him but I can't, I twisted my ankle when I tripped.