Chapter 2

I hated bars, especially this one because its full of people who are wanting to party but have probably been kicked out of all the clubs around. All around was old men drinking whats left of their life away and people who looked way too young to be in here. I did notice one guy who looked completely out of place though, he kept looking around him maybe to keep himself busy, maybe he was meeting someone and they hadn't arrived. "hey, Maya has that guy been in here before?" i asked "he doesn't look like a regular and i haven't seen him in here, why you interested?" "I'm not interested, i just find it interesting as to why he might be here, he seems alone and kind of sad, don't you think?" "i wouldn't know, i don't study people like the way you do, just go talk to him, its bar they expect us to be kind and friendly" "well i don't care much for expectations" my voice always sounds dull and boring, even when talking to a friend. I studied him a bit more before going over, he was good looking but not like a god, just good looking, i couldn't see what colour his eyes were but his eyes were rather small and from what it appeared he needed glasses, he had a strong jaw line and his hair was curly but it had been cut so it was less noticeable and he looked roughly my age possibly older. I wandered over to him "do you want another drink?" i asked my voice as monotone as ever "yeah, please" he practically whispered, i was right he was upset "i know its none of my business but are you okay?" my voice was lighter, showing concern and care because it really was none of my business but i cant stand to see people upset, I've always felt a need to help them in anyway i can. "yeah, I'm fine" his voice cracked a little, I've always found that as a strength, to talk to someone about something painful and they try to keep their courage but that little crack shows how weak they really are, its sad yet brave in a way. "this one is on me, you seem like you need a pick me up, even if it is only a free drink" i may not have a lot of money but this guy seemed like he needed a drink, might as well make it free. "thanks" he replied, i saw a small smile on his face but for only a second "why?" he continued, i hadn't even realised the conversation was still going "because you seemed upset, thats why" i said confused as to why he asked "but you don't know me, why give me a free drink, I'm just some guy" he too looked confused but he also didn't look as upset, the conversation was distracting him so i continued "because i may be a pessimistic, negative and cold hearted person but i cant stand to see anyone upset, i feel the need to help them and i thought maybe a free drink might help you forget whatever it is your brooding over and if not, well its a free drink who is going to turn that down, although i have to admit you don't seem like the type of guy to be in here, so why are you?" he raised an eyebrow "and why don't i look like i belong here, for all you know I'm a regular" "okay for one, i don't usually work here so you could be but i know you aren't for two reasons 1. you're wearing a suit, no one would wear a suit into a bar unless it was a special occasion and from the expression you had on your face, you weren't very happy and 2. my friend works here and she doesn't recognise you, therefore you aren't a regular." he leaned back a little "huh, you're right and you showed interest in me before we even started talking" i looked straight at him and said "i wouldn't of began talking to you if i didn't take an interest, so if you don't mind me asking why are you here?" his face went back to the miserable expression "well i found out my girlfriend has been cheating on me for the past year" his expression only got more miserable "why do people do the things they do?" he asked "why are you asking me, i have questioned why people do the things they do for years, it only ends with me staring at my ceiling" "so you often have existential crisis' then, you should try living more and stop thinking so much" i found that strange, people have told me the same thing for years but they never said to stop thinking, only to live more, that puzzled me because all i do is think and technically speaking i do live, just not the happy amazing life everyone wishes they had "if only i could" i replied "you said you don't usually work here, so where do you work?" i didn't like the immediate change of topic but i answered anyways "cafe bon bon, although i feel like i shouldn't be telling you because i really don't know you" He started to get up to leave but before he left he said "well my name is Daniel, you know that at least" and he left, he didn't seem so upset when he left, in fact he had a smile on his face and i couldn't help but smile either but that left quickly, i had to get back to work.

"so you get his number?" Maya asked "no i did not, i got his name" i replied, her face went from eager to bored instantly "and whats his name going to do?" "nothing, what makes you think that anything is going to go further, we had a conversation end of" i said as innocently as i could "because he made you smile, last time a guy made you smile, you were in a relationship" she said, she was eager once again but i stopped the conversation and just got on with what i was doing.