☆ Chapter 4: Apology Cookies ☆

"Ooooh... next time we see him he's going to be wishing he was back in the Nightosphere where he should be..." Cake growled softly, her little paws now forming into fists as she listened to Fionna tell her what had happened back at Marshall's house. 

Fionna wiped her nose with the sleeve of her shirt and sighed heavily. 

     "There probably won't be a next time. I told him I hated him... which is partially true."

Cake frowned at the sight of Fionna and brought the girl into a gentle embrace. 

     "Don't worry, honey, everything will be fine." She patted the human's back a couple of times before giving her a tight squeeze.

     "How about we play some video games and watch a movie to get your mind off of things, alright? Ooooh, yeah! We can have a girl's night and paint each other's nails and do our hair." Cake laughed and let go of the girl, scurrying into the kitchen to make some late night snacks the two of them could munch on while they partied it out. 

Fionna smiled weakly when she saw how excited Cake was. She was just overreacting and spending time with Cake would definitely make things a whole lot better. In fact, she was feeling a little bit happier now that Cake had suggested the two of them have a girl's night! Ever since receiving Gumball's invitation her mind had been plagued with stress about what to make for the ball. But Fionna had to admit... she was acting too high-strung about this whole escapade. Besides, the ball wouldn't be until next week so she had a lot of time to plan and act accordingly. For now, all she needed to focus on was having fun with her loving sister. 

+++

3:57 AM. 

Snnnnnnnnoooooreeeeee

Fionna jumped at the sudden noise and looked to her side, only to see that Cake had fallen fast asleep. Laughing softly, the girl stood up from their blanket nest and carefully picked up the feline before navigating her way up to their room. After setting Cake down into her rightful bed, Fionna climbed back downstairs to give BMO a break from projecting their movie marathon. Just as she was about to, however, her backpack started to ring.

Fearing that the noise would wake up Cake, the girl rushed to her back as quickly as possible and picked up her phone. 

     "Hello?" She whispered softly.

     "Oh, hey Fionna." It was Marshall.

     "..."

     "Hello? You there, Fi?" 

     "Y-Yeah. What do you want? It's 4 AM already." 

     "Cookies."

     "What?"

     "When you left I felt kind of bad so I made you the cookies." 

     "O-Oh... uh. You really didn't have to."

     "It's fine. I was acting total bunk. So... do you want them now? I can come over to drop them off if you'd like." 

     "I... sure? Thanks..." 

     "Alright, I'll be there soon with the cookies."

She waited until she heard the call click before setting down her phone. Oh Glob. And after recovering from acting like a baby and saying things like how she wasn't going to see Marshall again... But it was whatever! She was fine. Chill. Plus, he didn't sound angry on the phone so things were most likely cool between the two of them again. Hopefully... 

Now waiting anxiously on the floor, Fionna took off her hat and began to nervously play with her hair. She braided and then took out the braids on different locks of her over and over again until she turned rigid at the sudden knocking on the window and a tired sounding voice calling to her from the outside. 

     "Fionna, it's me."

Sucking in a breath of air, Fionna stood up from the ground and waddled towards the window. Okay, how was she going to do this? Would she give him an extensive thank you? Hug him perhaps? Fist bump? Invite him inside? Ugh, she was overthinking things again. All she needed to do was open the window and....

     "Take your cook-"

Fionna grabbed the bag from Marshall's hand and tucked it under her arm before pulling him towards her. Leaning a bit out of the window, she pressed her lips against his and gave him a quick kiss before leaning back and shutting the window.

     "Thanks, good night!" She sputtered quickly before dropping entirely onto the ground into a blushing ball of teenage mush.

     "... Me too, good night."

She heard Marshall's muffled voice through the glass and couldn't help but blush even harder.

✿✿✿ Author's Note ✿✿✿

How are you enjoying the story so far? Any questions or comments? I'd love to hear from you and your feedback!

I also hope you're having a terrific day, and thank you for reading! ❤