Chapter 33: Not A Goodbye

Chapter 33

"How are you feeling?"

Perfect first question. I sat across from Director Fury, it has been over a month since my incident with me shaking New York City. This was the first time me meeting with him since then.

I smiled sincerely, "I'm good Director."

"Good to hear, you gave us all quite a scare a month ago Agent Starkenios, and I believe you know why we are now meeting here."

The location was classified, but I knew it had to be one of the various SHIELD Facilities. The Hub, if I wasn't mistaken, and here I am one of many Fury's offices.

"I do." I nodded. "There really isn't much for me to say Director, only that I couldn't control my abilities and that led to hundreds on injured people, I understand, and I am feeling more controlled over my abilities."

"I know, and believe you, but as a SHIELD Agent who carries such abilities we have a special list for them called the INDEX."

"The INDEX?" I questioned.

"A list of of people who have abilities and objects of powers, since you are a SHIELD Agent it's protocol to have another agent watching over you to see how you manage your abilities."

"But sir--"

"Agent Starkenios, this is a SHIELD Protocol, and the agent I've assigned for you is someone of your liking." He smiled.

I sighed, "Really, who?"

"Agent Romanoff!"

I turn around to see Natasha coming into the office. Indeed, I do like Natasha. It seems like it was just a couple of months ago we were fighting against Vanko.

"You and Agent Romanoff have a pending mission together..."

I turn back to Fury. "That's right, just before my incident."

"Yes, now you two will infiltrate a team of Russian convoy's entering Ukraine without authorization, the package are weapons of high caliber. Weapons that belonged to SHIELD, they are weapons that have been upgraded to look similar to your dad Agent Starkenios."

Why am I not surprised. Every criminal wishes to recreate every weapon that my dad has ever made, especially after he had shut down that part of the company.

"A team of two is going to take down a Russian convoy?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"You two meet the expectations yes," Fury begins to smile, as if my question was childish, "there's only one specific truck that you will have to compromise, you'll have to find out for yourselves which truck is that and deliver it to a SHIELD base in Istanbul. Any questions?"

"No sir." Natasha and I said at once.

"Good then, as you both know there is no extraction, this mission will rely on the both of you to work together to get out and back here, the quinjet will be ready to take off in a few hours be ready."

Natasha nodded and left Fury's office. I stood behind.

"Problem Agent Starkenios?"

"Steve?"

"The captain will be moved to another SHIELD safe house, you've taught him well, he will be fine." Fury assured me.

"As long as he's okay," I smiled and got up from my sit, "I'll report back in a few hours." I nodded towards him and left his office.

|•|•|•|

I arrive back at my SHIELD apartment and when I step in to have the staircase before me that leads to mine and Steve's apartment I exhale. I look to my right to see the gym where Steve lets out his frustration every night, and I hope the new SHIELD safe house has one for him. I'm going to miss Steve. After this mission, I'll be back to living with my dad and having missions as I grow into a SHIELD agent, but I can't help to wonder what will become of Steve.

He's the man out of time, and I have taught him as much as I could to have him ready for this new world that's very strange to him. I just hope he can accommodate just fine on his own.

I walk slowly up the stairs to go into my apartment, but to my surprise Steve is coming out of his, when he sees me coming up the stairs, his smile grows and I couldn't help but to smile back.

"Hey! How did it go?" He asked, he knew I had gone to see Fury.

"Uh, great." I half smiled, "I have a mission to prepare for."

"Sounds exciting, when you come back we can keep going with our lessons." He sounded to enthusiastic, which made it harder for me to tell him.

"Steve..." I started.

He noticed my facial expression was down, "Is something wrong?"

I sighed, "You are moving to a new SHIELD safe house, and I will be returning back home...."

We stood in silence for a moment.

"I don't understand," he finally spoke, "why?"

"I have a chain of missions after this one that I must complete, I honestly don't know when I'll see you again, but don't think of this as a goodbye Steve, I'll still be your teacher and guide--"

"Athena, you're more then just my teacher and guide, you're my friend. You helped me belong."

"Oh Steve." I hugged him tightly, his broad muscular arms were around me. "Like I said this isn't a goodbye, I'll see you hopefully soon, but I must get going."

"Good luck Athena." He smiled. "And be careful!" He reminded.

I looked back to him and smiled, that was better then what I had imagined, walking down the steps with my backpack. I knew that after this mission, nothing would ever be the same again. I could sense it, something was about to happen and I couldn't really decipher what it was exactly only that my never ending dreams were going to be turned into reality.

••••••••••••
Hi everyone! I know long time no see, but if any of you follow me on my social media you would know that the whole entire month of July I've been sick and yesterday I was just released from the hospital, but don't worry I'm fine, just trying to get back up again. I do apologize for not updating in so long and for this short chap, but good news is that I'll be updating more often now! But back to the story, what do you guys think will happen to Athena on her chain of missions with Natasha?

xx Love y'all 💋