Can You Show Me?

Can You Show Me?
Request for harmony heart frost
A/N: "I wanna know! Can you show me?"
I apologize for the wait. I've been receiving a lot of birthday requests and most of them have been requested within a week of the actual birthday, so many of the regular requests have been put on hold so I can get the birthday requests done in time. Damn Writer's Block won't let me manage both.

A frustrated groan left your lips as you collapsed on your bed, ready to give up. You'd been practicing for three hours straight, but you'd yet to completely control your powers. You couldn't seem to concentrate, and when you did, you had no idea what to concentrate on.
From a young age, you'd discovered that you had the power to control light and darkness. Based on the experimenting you'd done so far, that ranged from summoning and commanding the shadows to do your bidding to using your mind to turn on the bedroom light. The problem was that you couldn't manage much of either one.
Taking a deep breath, you sat up and closed your eyes. You crossed your legs and rested your hands in your lap, trying to focus. Another breath came in through your nose as your mind centered in on the light switch that sat innocently by your door. As you blew out your breath, you imagined it dousing a candle flame, using said candle to symbolize the light bulb that sat inside its case above you on the ceiling. The light flickered and was just about to fade–
A knock sounded on your door, breaking your concentration. The light remained on and you glared at your door with all the passion you could muster.
"Who is it and what do you want?" you growled out, flopping back on the pillows.
"It's Loki and I came to see if you were alright," a silky voice replied.
A sigh escaped your lips. You never could reject the demigod. "Come in."
The doorknob clicked as the door opened and the beautiful man you called your best friend – and secret crush – came through, smiling gently. "Are you alright? No one has seen or heard from you today. We were worried."
You couldn't help but smile. Loki was concerned about you. "I'm fine. I was just trying to take a day to practice my powers but I'm not getting anywhere."
"Perhaps I can be of assistance," he offered, sitting beside you on your bed. "After all, I have powers of my own, and they took some practice as well."
"Really?" you asked, hope lighting your eyes. Some alone time with Loki, maybe finally make some progress with your abilities – and your relationships... "That'd be amazing."
He smiled and nodded, turning to face you. "Now, how do your powers work? Do you have to look or point or is it all in your head?"
"I'm not sure," you sighed. "I can't get them to cooperate either way. Sometimes I can reach out and grab shadows, and if I close my eyes and think about the light I can make it flicker, but I'm not sure what the trigger is or how to pull it."
He nodded again, processing your response. "Let's try your hands first. You said you could grab the shadows?"
You nodded in reply.
"Let's try that," he suggested, nodding his head towards the shadow on the floor cast by the lamp sitting atop your bedside table. "Try and pull on that shadow."
You turned to face the table and shadow, taking a deep breath. You slowly reached your hands out as though to grab a book, aligning your hands above the shadow. Taking another breath and focusing on the darkness, you closed your fists as though grabbing handfuls of a blanket and began pulling them towards you. The shadow followed, bending and contorting to obey your demands. A small smile claimed your lips as you looked at your work.
"Very good," Loki smiled. "Do you think you could do the same with light?"
"I haven't tried," you replied with a small shrug.
"Let's," Loki suggested, reaching around you to flip the switch on the lamp. He had to stretch behind you to reach it, pressing his chest against your back, causing your face to flush and you to swallow a hopefully inaudible gulp.
He sat back and held his hands out as if giving something to you but there was nothing there. You watched his hands and saw a blue ball of light begin to form. "This is a ball of pure light," he explained. "Use your mind and see if you can do something to it."
Nodding, you closed your eyes and took in a breath. You nervously placed your hands under Loki's, cupping them, to help you focus on the light. Clearing your mind – which was hard to do with your thundering heartbeat – you thought only of making the ball grow. Breathing out of your mouth, you imagined your breath fanning a fire, making it bigger. Cracking one eye open, your gasped and your eyes widened. The ball in Loki's hands had doubled in size.
"Did I do that?" you asked, worried that he'd made it bigger to give you hope.
He grinned. "That was all you."
Your grin matched his as you looked back at the light.
"See if you can change its shape," Loki suggested. "It's yours to do with what you like. It's completely moldable."
You nodded and focused on the light, keeping your eyes open. You always closed your eyes for extra concentration, but your newfound boost of confidence made you want to watch. Keeping your hands under his, you looked at the light, imagining a blue star in its place. You blew a breath out of your lips – a concentration technique you'd picked up – and willed the light to change.
A jolt of excitement tingled your spine as a spike poked out of the top of the light ball. It only fueled your confidence and eagerness as you continued focusing on the light. Another spike popped out of one side, soon mirrored on the other. You could see Loki's smile out of the corner of your eye and wondered just how much faith he had in you.
Within moments the ball had turned into a perfect star and you sat back, grinning. You looked up to meet Loki's eyes which sparkled despite the darkness.
"You did it," he smiled.
"You helped," you replied.
He shook his head. "I merely offered suggestions. Your concentration controlled your power."
Unable to contain yourself, you lurched forward, wrapping your arms around his neck. The light star dissipated, leaving you in total darkness as his arms hesitantly wrapped around your waist.
You pulled back, worried that you'd crossed a line, but his hands on your hips held you in place. Your hands slid across his shoulders and up his neck to find his face, your forehead resting against his.
"I'm proud of you," he whispered, and you were instantly aware of the proximity between your lips. You nodded slowly before leaning in, pressing your lips to his. He responded immediately, lips moving against yours and fitting perfectly. His hands on your hips pulled you forward until you were straddling his lap, lips still attached.
"Thanks for the help," you murmured against his lips between kisses.
"Any time," he replied, one hand sliding up to tangle in your hair. You let out a giggle as he leaned forward, dropping you back onto the bed.
None of the Avengers saw either of you for the rest of the night.