Naked Singularity

NAKED SINGULARITY

The sky is a thin layer of clouds catching red light pollution of the dark city and above it the stark difference of the night, it's a pool of pitch black water keeping stars as captives away from mankind.

"These nights used to be ours back home," Lee says, the dead night wind pushes the sound of his voice to the ocean waves roaring and amassing energy. "I miss it."

"I know you do," I lay back into the cold blue sand, "You talk about it all the time."

Lee joins in and I steal the cigarette in between his fingers. "Everyone who wants what we have, Time Wasting. I want to tell them that it's waking up in a different bed, in a different time every night and that we have control but we don't. Sleep acts as if it had been sucked into a black hole where we can't catch it unless we become a part of the singularity. Everyone we talk to, we can't tell them it's us because we're insane, and we're alone. We're the antimatter, the anathema, to the people around us."

My hands press the cigarette back into Lee's death cold hands and I stand up pressing my bare feet on the sharp edges of the rocks in the sea. My back turned against Lee I tell him, "There's no point in getting heartsick over things you can't have. It's better to just let the past become memory instead of the future. We'll get ripped apart if we do the opposite."

Lee follows me holding my singed hands. Soft blue light ebbs from his fingers to mine. "We could be able to go back. Maybe we already did."

My head hangs heavy. "You need to stop that."

"Stop what?" He lets my hand fall back to my side.

"You're too hopeful."

"I'm not. I just need to get back, Vikko. The Time Wasting's making me sick."

I clench my fists. Cold energy emanating. "I've looked into everything I could for an answer but there isn't one. We can't go back because of how we Time Waste. We can only go forwards. We can only dilate time."

"There are ways," Lee yells. "I know there are."

I grab his shoulders so he'll look at me. "Look, we're just two kids who got thrown into this chaos. I have absolutely no idea what it is that's doing this to us. And whether it's a god or if it's the Universe itself or even if it's us, I just can't ask it to throw us backwards in time," I scream. My rage turns the sky red and the clouds go black.

Lee's eyes become dark stars behind frenzied mayhem. "What do you mean by us?"

"The way Time works in higher dimensions, Lee. You can manipulate it because it's tangible and nonlinear. All this could just be us trying to play god, except we can only be our own gods and that's it."

"I don't understand. Why don't we just put ourselves back if it's like that?" He's on the verge of tears and the ocean tide comes in higher and higher.

"We can't, Lee! Then we wouldn't be there to put ourselves back. Don't you understand that and there's no way to manipulate time in that way!"

Thunder explodes above us tearing through the sky and becoming something tangible that we can feel inside ourselves. The sky fills with electricity and if it is us doing the Time Wasting, we're telling ourselves that we need to leave.

"How did we get there then? I want to know?"

My fingertips start burning again. "I don't know. If I did know, I would've told you!"

Huge hysteric breaths take over Lee and he turns away from me. "I hate you."

Up above the sky moves in frantic hurry of anxiety attacked convulsions as it splits open. I grab Lee's hand as the wind blows disrupting sand into a tornado around us. My burnt up fingertips leave burn marks on Lee's skin and he screams at me in red vehemence to let go but I can't. We're already starting to Time Waste again.

Nuclear Time Waste HeroesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara