Chapter Thirty Two - [Christmas.]

Start from the beginning

"Figures I'd do something like that," I said, shaking my head.

Emmett helped me into the truck, and we headed to his parents house. It wasn't far, and I knew usually Emmett would just walk but there was no way that he would let me walk that far. There was no way I would want to.

When we got to his parents house, every one was already there.

The mood was light and airy, and everyone was enjoying themselves. Nicole and her husband were there, but both Emmett and I avoided them and they didn't say anything to us either.

We were all getting together tomorrow here as well, in the morning for presents. We'd likely be there all day, rolling into the evening for dinner.

It wasn't until close to midnight that Emmett and I headed back home.

"I've got a surprise for you," Emmett said as he helped me out of the truck.

"You do?" I asked.

"Yep. Follow me."

He took my hand as we walked into the house and after he closed and locked the door after us, him and I went upstairs. I looked at the clock on the wall. 12:01.

Emmett opened the door to the nursery and my jaw dropped.

There, was a crib made of black wood. The legs had claw foot bottom, and had different layers so you could put the mattress lower or higher.

"Merry Christmas, baby."

I walked forward, touching it gingerly. It was beautiful.

"Did you...make this?" I asked, turning to him.

"Yeah, I've been working on it for months."

I launched myself into his arms, hugging him hard and burying my face into his chest.

"It's amazing. I love it," I said, hugging him tighter. "I love you."

"I love you too, Charlotte."

I reached up on my tip toes and kissed him.

He went to get ready for bed, but I stayed in the nursery for a while and looked at it. I was in love with the crib, and I couldn't believe that he had taken the time out to make it for me. For our baby.

For us.

I joined Emmett in bed shortly, and fell asleep quickly.

We got up early the next day, and I dressed in leggings, knee high boots that had no heel and a nice, warm red sweater. We bundled up and headed back to his parent house, arriving shortly after eight a.m.

"Good morning, baby," Emmett's mother greeted him, kissing him on the cheek. She turned to me, doing the same.

"How are you feeling?" She asked as Emmett helped me out of my coat and hung it up.

"Huge," I said, laughing. "But good."

"Good. Can't wait to meet this one," She said, putting her hand on my belly. She turned to her son. "Why don't ya'll take a seat? I'll get you some coffee. Hot chocolate for you, Charlotte?"

"Please!" I said.

"Oh, Mama, you don't have to do that. I'll get it."

"Nonsense. Let me take care of you. Go sit down, we're just waiting on Elliot, Anna and her kids and we'll start."

We did as she asked, and I found that Aunt Lauren had already arrived. Her boyfriend, John was there too. He was very pleasant and easy to be around. I sat between her and Emmett, and his mom quickly bought out the refreshments.

"Thank you, Rebecca."

Elliot and Anna arrived shortly afterwords, and the festivities really began. We let all of the kids open their presents first, and it was awesome to watch their wide eyed wonder as they opened their gifts.

It was fun to watch.

We opened our presents next, I got Emmett a new wallet, some tools, a knife that had his initials engraved on them, a pair of new boots, a "Super Dad" shirt and a new beer mug. Him and I both got miscellaneous gifts from his family and Aunt Lauren, mostly stuff for the baby and the house.

Emmett got me some clothes, a very cute diaper bag, some very pretty earrings and a matching necklace, some new cowboy boots for myself - my first pair! The last present he gave me when everyone was in the kitchen waiting for dinner. We were alone.

"One more gift."

"You didn't have to get me something else," I said, scooting closer to him. "The crib would have been enough."

"I know, but I wanted to."

He handed the small box over to me. It was the size of a ring box.

"I know we both agreed to not get married until we are both ready, but I wanted to do something to show you I'm serious. It's a promise ring."

I opened the box and looked.

The ring's band was made of silver, and had two intertwining hearts. The bottom one had black stones, the top diamonds. Four diamonds extended on either side of the hearts, the right side black and the left side diamonds.

"This is beautiful," I said, tears welling up in my eyes. My heart swelled with love. How had I gotten so lucky? He took the ring from me and slipped it onto my left hand ring finger.

"This is not an engagement ring," He said. "But it is a promise that I'm going to make damn sure that we stay together for a long, long time."

Author's Note: Hope you like this story! There are only a few more chapters left, probably three or so. I can't believe ya'll have been so supportive. It's amazing! Thank you guys SO much. It is undecided if there will be a sequel or not, but I will let you guys know! LOVE YOU GUYS.