One → Infatuation

desi

My eyes wandered over to where Jonathan was sitting by himself, eating this sorry excuse of a lunch. I desperately wanted to go sit beside him, to be able to act like a couple with him.

Looking at him, I still didn't understand how Sherry could have rejected him. He was absolutely good looking and extremely intelligent; the whole package.

Secretly, I was actually glad she rejected him. I've had feelings for him for a while, but only recently has he started showing any feelings for me. His feelings did catch me off guard, but I was happy about it nonetheless.

"Helloooooo," Sherry snapping her fingers caught me by surprise and caused me to jump a bit due to how lost in thought I was. "Why are you even looking over at Ichabod?"

Her tone was full of disgust, which made me grow a bit angry but I tried to push the anger back. She was a good friend of mine and getting angry at her wouldn't result in any good.

The subject was dropped quickly when I didn't respond. That's how it was with Sherry, she never would suspect that I had feelings for Jonathan due to how she thinks everyone hates him.

"So," she started, as she put her phone away. "Has Daniel asked you out yet?! I've seen how friendly you two have been." I almost wanted to gag at how excited she was for me being with Daniel.

I already disliked Daniel when I first met him and last week's event of him calling Johnny a lanky freak only made me dislike him even more. He was a jerk to almost everyone, thinking that somehow that would make him more cool.

I brushed a piece of jet black hair out of my face and put it behind me ear. "'No. He hasn't even told me he likes me yet." I replied, trying to force as much as excitement as I could.

As much as I loved Sherry, I was glad it was senior year and this would be my last year dealing with them. I could only imagine how glad Jonathan must be.

"Well here he comes!" She exclaimed, more excited than I was at Daniel coming to our table and his usual seat. My eyes were focused on Jonathan. I saw him leave the cafeteria and told Sherry that I'd be right back. "Where are you going?"

"Powder my nose." I lied. I slipped my bag into my shoulder and headed out the cafeteria doors that Jonathan did. "Hey." I called out, hoping he'd hear me.

Luckily, he did and stopped to wait for me. I could see him trying not to smile and almost laughed at how cute he looked. "Desi." He said, once I caught up to him.

"Jonathan." I jokingly mocked him, as I tried to catch my breath. "Where are you headed to?" The opportunity to spend more time with him seemed to good to be true, and it also gave me a reason to not talk to Daniel.

"Library." He responded in a mono tone voice. I knew he was trying to refrain from showing as much emotion as possible due to who my friends were, but I just wished he would trust me.

"Can I come with you? I really need a break from my friends." I sighed, remembering how angry Sherry got when she caught me looking over at him.

"So why don't you go talk to Daniel? I'm sure he'd be much more acceptable company for you to be seen with." He angrily told me, in an attempt to push me away.

Jonathan Crane was one of the most confusing human beings I've met, which is one the reasons I liked him so much.

"I prefer your company." I admitted, a sheepish smile on my face. I wasn't sure whether he knew about my feelings towards him. Throughout the few times we've talked, it was never brought up. 

It looked as if he was contemplating his  options for a few seconds, before he spoke up.

"Come on."