Chapter Four

Only ten minutes have passed of sitting on this bench, the shade I found comforting a few minutes ago turned into a steamy sauna. The sun was aimed directly towards my eye causing me to literally not even be able to see anything. I had to squint whenever I would look in the direction of the four boys, but even that didn't work.

I sat legs perched on the bench with my phone on my hands, I was scrolling through my old pictures of Brooke and I. A sad sigh escaped my lips as I thought of my best friend, she must be so lost without me.

My phone buzzed which immediately caught my attention. It was a phone call from Damien, my heart faltered. Oh no. I have been so caught up with this job, I completely forgot all about Damien. Guilt rushed over my body, how do I explain this to him?

"Oh hey Damien! Sorry I haven't been at school for the past two days, I'm in California working for these two famous twins, who might I add are extremely hot, see you in nine months!"

I groaned while slapping my palm against my face, that sounds insanely stupid.

Taking a hesitant sigh, I swiped the green icon and pressed the phone against my ear, "Hey!"

"Kenna! Hey." The sound of Damien's voice sent chills down my spine and I mentally slapped myself for being so girly.

I stood up and shoved my hand awkwardly in my pockets, "Um yeah, hey."

"I missed you these passed few days of school, where have you been?"

Oh boy

"Um, I've been pretty busy with . . . stuff?" My voice came out out uneasy, I squeezed my eyes shut in hopes he wouldn't question this any further.

"Oh, well that sucks. Anyways, Mrs. Jensen gave me your make up work for the last two days, I was wondering if we could grab a coffee later so I can give them to you." Even though I couldn't see him, I could tell he was doing that cute thing where he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

I almost screamed, yes yes! Afterwards we can get married and have two kids and a pet beagle!

But of course, that can't happen because one, he doesn't like me like that. Two, that would be insanely creepy. And three, the worst of all; I'm in fucking California.

"Kenna, you still there?"

"Huh?"

Damien chuckled, "I asked what time do you want to want to meet up."

"Well," I drawled out nervously, "I don't think that would be necessary."

Silence corrupted the phone line, well this is awkward.

"What do you mean?"

I ran my fingers through my hair roughly, how on earth do I say this? If I tell him I suddenly left to California, he's going to hate me forever. After all, we were lunch buddies.

I opened my mouth to respond but was cut off when a male voice shouted from behind me, "Hey Kenna! Sorry for the wait, it was an endless line."

I squeezed my eyes shut tightly, please be another Kenna.

I turned around to see Jack standing there, a goofy smile planted on his lips. Drips of sweat trickled down from his hair which he quickly brushed off with his finger. My eyes flickered briefly behind him to see in fact that they did finished taking pictures with fans. Aaron, Ethan and Grayson stood a few feet behind huddled together in a small circle.

"Hey who's that?" Damien said from the other line.

Just. My. Fucking. Luck.

"Who are you talking to?" Jack's eyebrows furrowed together as he stepped closer towards me.