Chapter one

First chapter! Just wanted to include this before you begin reading that the first chapter of this story is a bit slow. This is just to set up the scene and get to understand who McKenna Skye is and how her life is at home. Ethan and Grayson will only appear in the next chapter.

~*~

"You're fired."

My heart shattered across the floor as I stared in disbelief at my boss who stood arms crossed and two inches shorter than me. Fired? This could not be happening, not to me. I needed the money to help my parents pay rent, without this job we will be homeless.

"Mrs. Jackson, you can't fire me. I've been working here for two years!" I protested in hopes of changing the mind of my boss.

The middle aged women sighed while running her fingers through her tangled brunette locks, "I understand that but with business being slow, I just can't afford to pay another employee."

I felt all the moisture in my throat escape from my mouth leaving an uneasy feeling in my stomach. "Please, I can't lose this job. I need the money badly, can't you just fire Lacey inst-"

"-of course not! Lacey is a hard worker and not to mention has the face every customer wants to see when they walk into our shop." Mrs. Jackson cut me off before I could finish.

Of course Mrs. Jackson wouldn't want to fire her precious Lacey. She had the whole package; nice with customers, always had a wide smile on her sweet face. I looked like a troll compared to her.

"How about you lower my salary? Please, Mrs. Jackson," I pleaded with desperation.

"Mckenna," Mrs. Jackson said with a stern voice, not able to finish her sentence.

My face dropped knowing this was my cue to leave. I felt my bottom lip quiver but I quickly regained myself. Untying the apron around my waist, I grabbed my bag from the shelf and headed out the door with my head hung low. I purposely dragged my feet as I made my way out the door which grabbed a few customers attention.

"Hey Ken- woah, are you okay?" A familiar voice asked, snapping me out of my gloomy thoughts.

My gaze up lifted up meeting with a pair of bright blue eyes. The sandy haired boy smiled at me warmly, his eyes full of concern. I returned the gesture, but my aching heart overcame it and a scowl was soon formed on my lips.

"Hey Damien," I croaked, cringing at how broken my voice sounded.

Damien is my coworker at Cafepress, he so also happens to go to my school. We are both Juniors and good friends. Not to mention, he has the looks. His blonde hair brushes across his forehead giving him that cute boyish look along with his deep set of blue eyes. I may or may not have had the slightest crush on him since Freshmen year.

"What's up, shortcake?" Damien asked, his voice laced with concern. My heart fluttered at the nickname he gave me a few years back when we met. I have always been short compared to him - well, everything compared to him is pretty short - my five foot six figure didn't stand a chance against his lean six foot and over.

"Mrs. Jackson fired me," I mumbled sadly.

Damien inhaled a deep breath in shock, "Wow, I am so sorry shortcake."

He tugged my wrists and pulled me into his chest in a tight embrace. I breathed heavily as my face smushed against his warm frame, my stomach going nuts.

We pulled away from each other after a few seconds, he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "Well um, I guess I'll see you in school?"