Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Lisa was able to get Musa a ride to the Episcopal Church Emergency Relief Station that was set up to process church members and for feeding refugees.

Once there Musa spoke with a weary aid worker in a blood-stained white Red Cross uniform. “I want to volunteer to help the people suffering in this war in any way possible. I have done bad things and pray God that you will forgive me and give me a chance.”

Musa’s words were like a refreshing breeze to the bedraggled relief worker. She then said to him, “Please come in, young man. If everybody was as determined as you are, the war would end soon. We need you bad.” Taking heart, she smiled.

Musa turned to Lisa. “I want to thank you so much, Teachuh Lisa. I wil do my best to make up for the things I have done.  Now I know better

Lisa fought tears, “Oh, Musa, I know you are so grieved. Honor me by serving the best you can. Maybe someday I can help you in your service to humanity."

Lisa took one of the few taxis that dared to risk the deadly mortar rounds and rockets that were now slamming in increasing numbers into the streets and houses at random in Monrovia. She drove fast to the American Embassy gate where the Marine Corps guards stood.

Lisa presented their identification cards, and the guard cranked his field telephone to the guard shack inside the compound. They had moved all communication equipment out of their usual building when they received word that one of the factions had it marked as a target on their maps. He called Lisa's name aloud and checked it against their authorized roster of Americans in country.

“I am so sorry your husband was wounded,” said the guard. “I remember when you were here to take care of all of the paperwork a year ago over your getting married. Is this your daughter?”

“Yes,” David answered with difficulty.

The guard spoke again on his field phone to his guard and then hung up. “They would have accepted your baby anyway without the redtape. We’re loosening our regulations on Europeans who request asylum during the emergency. Just follow the Marine private to the receiving area.”

Lisa held Sarah, and guards provided a strecher for David.

It took two days for them to settle in while waiting for an available helicopter to evacuate them to an offshore ship and then to the states.

Word came that the primary warlords were Charles Taylor and an unknown fighter called Prince Johnson. The stalemate of the last few days had just ended.

Prince Johnson had done the unexpected. He had taken a force across the river and secured a beachhead on the peninsula where Monrovia stood. With Johnson holding a large chunk of Monrovia behind President Doe, he tried to thin out his forces facing Charles Taylor and to shift soldiers to face Prince Johnson. He hoped discourage to Johnson’s from an all-out attack. It failed. It was only a matter of time before Prince Johnson and Charles Taylor would squeeze President Doe’s forces at the isthmus. President Doe would be captured and executed.

During the night President Doe tried to slip out of the mansion and sneak across one of the bridges. He was captured and tortured at first light. He cried for mercy as they tore him apart. Soon after he was dead, they burned his body.

With Sarah and David at her side, Lisa bided her time in the embassy’s holding area, a building safe from direct-fire weapons. Now and then some projectiles and stray machine gun rounds flew well overhead. Lisa and David werer given a cots and another for their few belongings and for Sarah to lie on. Other refugees were only too glad to help her take care of them. Sarah had little trouble taking the formula provided by the embassy. Lisa was already handy changing her diapers. Embassy personnel changed the trash containers often to prevent the spread of disease. Meanwhile David had requested a visit by the US Ambassador.