Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

David and Lisa managed with Felicia’s help to take care of their baby. Lisa managed to have Sarah sleep beside her but managed to prop up something to keep her from rolling over. Twice in the first night, David found that both she and Sarah had fallen asleep while nursing. With gentleness he placed his daughter close to her mother but where she would be safe. David would always kiss them both and cover them with care and then roll over in the opposite direction.

David had obtained both permanent and throwaway diapers from the Phebe doctor. He would save the throw aways for the evacuation.

On Saturday Lisa said she felt fine, and they made their way to market. David had baby bottles but didn’t do the “sophisticated” thing: have Lisa store her own milk in the refrigerator. The only formula available in the bush was from dry milk. That was in limited supply. Everybody there in market would understand that a baby best fed off its own mother. Seeing Lisa covering herself while nursing was a hit with the women at market.

Lisa and David then moved among the vendors as a crowd of smiling women, men and children gathered around them. Each time they stopped, women, who often palavered with them each Saturday over prices, stood up and reached out with a smile. David and Lisa made sure to give each eager woman a chance to hold Sarah and kiss her.

Each time a smiling woman gave Sarah back to Lisa, she uttered something in local Kisi or Bandi. But that day in market, for Liberians who loved children so much, there was no need of a translator. Sarah and parenthood were the universal language that bound David and Lisa with the people in market that day.

That night Lisa and David sat on the same love seat in which they first declared their mutual love but with Sarah between them. David held Sarah up and kissed her. “This is what our love has brought us.”

“David, let us promise to bring Sarah up to love the things we love: service to others. I could never have loved you if it had not been plain that you care for the people here. Like me, you have taken them as equals but for some reading and technical skills. You love Pa in his wisdom every bit as I do. You never scorn but are always ready to help someone in need. We have been privileged to live among a great people.”

David gave Lisa a passionate kiss but this time took care to consider the precious gift between them. Then as was his custom, he kissed his daughter.

When she had nursed Sarah for the evening, they turned in. It had been some weeks, so it was safe for them to come together for love making. During that night, David made Lisa feel loved as she had never been before—if that were possible. Then as he thought, he would have had a hard time persuading her that he loved her more than he did.

In the middle of the night, Lisa sat up. “Oh, David, hold me!”

He looked at their daughter sleeping in peace and with all the gentleness that he could muster, he wrapped his warm arms around his frightened wife and kissed her cheek. “We are always together. Do you believe that?”

“Oh, David, yes! I love you so much, and we are always one.” She felt comforted enough to lie facing Sarah with David facing the same direction. He laid his arm across Lisa and placed it on Sarah. Lisa turned back and kissed him and put her soft hand on their daughter as well. They passed a peaceful night that way.

David changed Sarah while Lisa was dressing. She nursed her while David prepared some of the remaining, dwindling supplies of food. They had run out of fresh meat at the market last Saturday. So they had to stretch their Mae Ling beef loaf and corned beef. He prepared to serve it over palm oil and potato greens. That’s when Sarah started her constant crying.