Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

“There can’t be many things wrong with a baby,” he said. “There are either hungry, shooey, sick, or uncomfortable.”

This went on for an hour longer. As would have it Mother Elizabeth came by in her Land Rover. She stepped out but left an assistant seated. She gave the traditional Liberian knock, which wasn’t a knock. She repeated the words “Bok, Bok, Bok” with a half laugh as Lisa came to the door.

“Mother Elizabeth?” She looked back into the house, “David, Mother Elizabeth is making a house call.”

Elizabeth said, “David and Elizabeth, I wanted to look at your baby one more time and you two before preparing for the coming evacuation. You may not see a doctor for weeks or months if you stay here.”

“But we are—“

Elizabeth raised her hand to cut off what he was about to say, “I must not know of your movements. The warlords must trust me.” When Lisa brought Sarah to her, she kissed her and looked her over. Then she placed gentle hands over Lisa and checked her eyes, nails, and her color. She looked into her mouth.

“You are too fine, my beautiful mother. Is there anything you need to tell me?”

“Yes,” Lisa said. “The baby is crying even after nursing. She still seems to be hungry.”

“It isn’t unusual,” Mother Elizabeth said. “You may be drying up already. A woman may nurse for years. What are we women in a sense but well-loved, sophisticated cows in a way. But it just happens. Do you have bottles?”

“Yes,” they answered.

“If there is not enough milk within you to fill an eight ounce bottle, you are drying. If Sarah still cries after feedings into the day, your milk is insufficient.”

“What do we do?” they asked.

“Feed it corn syrup in KLIM powdered milk. Get a wet nurse if you can. I cannot save all of the children. If a woman loses one, she can have trouble if she dries up too fast. You can help each other that way. I am on my way to Mosambolahun. All I have to do is to put out the word. Everybody wants to help you. Did you know that?”

“No, but we appreciate it. We will be leaving in a few days.” David carried Sarah in his arms while Lisa followed Mother Elizabeth out to the Land rover.”

“Are you sure a war will start?”

“For true, my friends,” she answered. “I have gotten together with the warlords and convinced them to allow me to move without humbug among the fighting factions. That privilege ends when I take sides. In this war, my loved ones, there will be no good guys as in the movies I saw in America.”

Mother Elizabeth hugged Lisa and David and drove off.

By evening came a “Bok, Bok.” David came to the door.

“Please forgive me for the palaver I am causing you.”

“There is no palaver. Please come in.”

“My name is Sia. I lost her baby two days ago in Fongunda and want to offer my services as a wet nurse.”

“Lisa said, “We may as well find out now if you can help us.” She turned to David. “Would you please bring Sarah?”

Sia took her and kissed her. Lisa handed her a cover. “It’s for use when my man is around.” Then she proceeded to nurse her. It worked.

“You can stay with us?” Lisa asked. "We can sleep in the big house with Felicia."

“Yes,” she said. “If it pleases you, I wish also to join you as you move down country. I must join my husband’s name is Paul, a UN worker, who is working in a safe area on an armed compound. He wanted so much to be with me when I had my baby the other day, and he will be too sad to hear he is no more. It will be very hard to tell him the bad news.”