Prompt Five

"Go on," Brian urged, his hand on back, gently pushing me forward.

"I still don't think this is a good idea," I said, nervously.

"It's no big deal." He laughed. "I don't understand why you're so scared."

"We're not scared," Nicole retorted. "We're just being cautious. I mean, do you see anyone else entering this tent?"

"No. Which is why we're doing it," Brian said. "Ever heard of standing out in the crowd?"

I looked at him, my eyes scanning his profile. Tall, muscular - in the good way - blonde hair that fell on his piercing green eyes and the permanent smug smile. Brian was a perfect example of how a Greek god would look, making him 'stand out of the crowd' whether we entered the tent or not.

Of course, I wasn't about to tell him that. It would only increase his already inflated ego, which was a tad bit more than your average seventeen year old. But he was Brian Richardson after all - the most popular boy in school and also my best friend.

"I'll take the silence as a 'Yes'," Brian said. And before ever of us could protest, he dragged us into the tent that had been titled, 'Luminescence'.

It was dark inside. The only source of light was the sunlight from outside, which didn't last very long since Brian zipped the tent door as soon as we entered.

"Brian?" Nicole's voice shook. "Can we go outside now?"

"Don't be such a pussy, Nicki," Brian chided. "Just hold on to me and you'll be safe."

Nicole managed a sarcastic laugh. "So that you can play more tricks on me? No thanks."

"I swear, I - " Brian was cut short as the sound of a trumpet blared, followed by a scream. Someone banged into me, making me stumble backwards. A grabbed the closest thing near me and balanced myself.

Lights flickered and a second later, the room was filled with light. The first thing I saw was Brian's shocked face. It must have been Nicole who had screamed since she was clinging to Brian as if her life depended on it. Her face was hidden in Brian's chest and I could only see her luscious brown locks.

Brian had wrapped his arms around Nicole. Rather awkwardly, I couldn't help but notice. He coughed before he spoke. "Nicole? Relax."

Nicole suddenly stepped away from Brian, her face flushed. "Sorry," she muttered.

Brian's usual confidence was back. "You sure you don't want me to hold you?" He laughed.

Nicole chose to ignore him and turned to me. "I think we should leave this place, Taylor. I have a very bad feeling about this."

I opened my mouth to speak but stopped when I heard a click, as if a door were being opened or closed.

"Taylor?" Nicole's voice was almost a screech.

I placed a hand on my lips and pointed in the direction the sound had come from. I noticed the triumphant grin on Brian's face but I ignored it. I wasn't doing it for him anyway. The place had captured my interest.

It was a dimly lit room, even with the lights switched on. I noticed that it was quite large too, although you couldn't guess that from outside. The interior was blue. Royal blue. The curtains, table cloths, the furniture were al the same colour. There were flashes of black in certain places too.

We had entered from one corner of the tent. A long table was placed in the centre of the room, decorated with show pieces. A sofa sat at a distance and, at the far end of the room, black drapes covered something.