Prompt Four

"Yes. . . of course . . . I will. . .Bye."

"How do you do it, Meg?" I asked my redhead friend as soon as she had placed her mobile back into her jeans pocket.

"Do what?" She asked as we continued to jog around the park.

"You know, handle everything. The job, chores, your relationship. . . Just everything!"

Meg shrugged. "Planning is everything, I guess."

"Wish I had your gift of planning," I said.

"Where's all this coming from, Amber?" Meg asked, sounding concerned.

It was my turn to shrug. "It's been four years since I graduated from college and I still haven't had my big break yet. It's not like I have a stable job. I feel as if I'm still in my internship days, where you're still learning, practicing, doing Work Experience. And there's this strong will inside me that wants to achieve something but I don't know how."

"You'll get there, Amber," Meg said, soothingly. "You just need a bit of time and patience. Things will work out eventually."

"I hope so." I sighed.

"When do you have to leave for work?" Meg asked, changing the subject.

"About twelve," I answered. "The actors have a day off today but Aaron wants me to help him with something."

"You do know that you're lucky, right? Your work with some of the famous people on this planet!"

"I know," I half-smiled. "There are perks to the job. But I want to do something more. This is all work experience. I want something bigger. Something that can make a difference."

"Such as?"

"We've already had this talk, Meg," I reminded her.

"I know. But I love listening to you talk about it."

I chuckled. "I hope someday I can actually get it all accomplished."

"You will," Meg smiled. "Now, what do you say about a get-away weekend? Just me and you."

"I cant," I said. "Mom's asked me to come over. It's been too long."

Meg nodded. "The weekend after that?"

"Sure. I won't make any plans."

"How's your mother?" Meg asked.

"She's . . fine?"

"Same old?"

"Same old," I confirmed, laughing.

 We jogged in silence after that. My thoughts wandered over to my widowed mother. Sure, I loved her but moving out of the house was the biggest relief. My older sister, Hazel, on the other hand, didn't mind staying at home with Mom. 

Mom was the kind of person who was never afraid to voice her thoughts, however criticizing they might be. She believed that everyone had the right to know what others thought about them. There were no secrets when it came to Mom. Sometimes it was for the good, sometimes not so much. 

She was a strong-willed woman, though. Something, both, Hazel and I had inherited. The only time I saw her resolve broken was when Dad died when I was eighteen, but she was back to normal in a few hours. Which was a huge relief.

"Amber?" Meg broke the silence.

"Yeah?"

"Are you really not getting any offers? I mean, you've been to acting school, you're talented, pretty. . You can't not get any offers."