It was a normal day when John woke up. Emery was sitting with Dean, but she had gone to get some coffee from one of those weird machines. It was coffee, however, so that was fine by Emery. With the help of Sam, she had gotten back to Dean's side just as the doctor came in.

"Your father's awake," came from behind the two as Emery sat down in the uncomfortable plastic chair. Her crutches were put on the floor and the coffee handed to her. "You can go see him if you like."

"Doc, what about my brother?" Sam asked. Emery grabbed Dean's limp hand, entwining their fingers and rubbing soothing circles on the back of it. Just like she'd do if he was actually awake.

"Well, he's sustained serious injury. Blood loss, contusions to his liver and kidney. But, it's the head trauma I'm worried about. There's early signs of cerebral edema."

"Well, what can we do?" Sam asked next, Emery closing her eyes. She was living in hope and faith right now.

"We won't know his full condition until he wakes up. If... He wakes up."

"If?" Emery asked, tears coming to her eyes. She couldn't do this without Dean. He was her anchor.

"I have to be honest, most people with his degree of injury wouldn't have survived this long. He's fighting very hard. But you need to have realistic expectations."

The Doc left just as Emery's tears broke the barrier she was trying so hard to keep up. She felt Sam lay a comforting hand in her shoulder. The girl sent him a small, weak smile through the tears, one he tried to return. It didn't reach his eyes.

"I'm going to check on Dad. Will you be okay?"

"Yeah, Sammy," Emery sniffled, "I'll be fine."

☪✡

The only time Emery had ever left Dean's side was when she needed to eat, sleep, use the washroom, or visiting hours were over.

And when John wanted to sit with him.

She didn't want to ruin it, so she'd check every once in a while to see if he had left the room. It was an hour or so later when it was empty and she reclaimed her seat.

Emery took a deep breath, thinking of the words she was going to say.

"Dean, I don't know how to say this... But, it's clear that if John or Sam don't do anything, you're gonna die. And I have to get this off my chest.

"Do you remember when we were in high school and you skipped your prom just to watch movies with me? I think that's when it all began. I was only fifteen, but you were the sweetest guy I knew. I couldn't help but fall in love with you.

"And now, here we are, eleven years in the future and I'm still in love with you. And now you're gonna fucking die. Dean Winchester, I fucking love you and it seems like everyone I love dies.

"There was my real parents and then the Wilsons. And now you, this is so fucking unfair.

"So you better survive, Dean, because you're my anchor and I can't do this without you. You better win this fight, like you have all the other."