Home

I'm wearing a slim black dress that my mom forced me to wear and I hate it. I spent today with my father who lives in Brooklyn with a new wife, who has a daughter, and their dog Corby. We went shopping and to baseball game since Blaze favourite team was playing. I don't see my dad much, he's got a different life and never approved of how much my mom pushed me to dance and how invested I am in this sport. He thinks I should be doing other things with my life than just dancing, normal things for an 18 years old, but he stopped pushing when I left for the academy, he knew he couldn't change my mind. He lost the custody battle for Blaze's guard over my mom, so he only sees him once a week and I know he hates that. He invited me over for thanksgiving diner with Blaze but I had to refuse because I told my mom I would spend thanksgiving with her. I could see he was sad that I didn't call much and came to visit him more, and it made me sad too. And now I'm at a thanksgiving party with a lot of important people I don't know and it's so boring the only time I almost had fun since I arrived was when an old lady talked to me about her five dogs. I was hoping this thanksgiving would be family only, but I guess my mother had other plans. Graham is here too, which doesn't surprise me since his family is friends with Brad's. He's been giving me death stares all night, walking around with a girl who's clearly six years older than him, minimum! I'm sitting on a chair in a corner, feeling very uncomfortable in my dress, trying to text Alaska in the subtlest way. Blaze is running around with a little girl in a lilac dress and I don't want to break his game by calling him over so he can keep me company. A guy in a suit walks up to me, his glass of champagne almost empty, and I suspect it wasn't his first.

-Wow, you are gorgeous! He says while sitting on the chair next to me.

I give him a small smile and look away.

-I mean it! You're really something!

-Thank you, I say with what not a single drop of kindness in my words.

I want him to leave, I preferred when it was boring.

-So, I was wondering, could I, maybe, buy you a drink sometimes?

-I'm under aged, I answer.

-Well, that doesn't really matter, you know! This is New York!

-I'm in a relationship anyway, I say, hoping this will shut him up.

-Me too, but they don't have to know, he says while leaning in close to me.

I get up and leave, and I see Graham looking back and forth between the guy and me. I climb the emergency stairs all the way up to the roof, which is like 7 stories of stairs. My feet hurt because of those stupid heals I'm wearing, so I take them off and throw them away somewhere between the fourth and fifth row of stairs. When I push open the door to the roof, the cold wind hit me, freezing me from head to toe in a half-second. I look at the shining city, and maybe five minutes of freezing later I hear the door open.

-You're not going to jump, are you? Graham asks in my back.

-No, I'm not, I answer without looking at him.

He walks up to me and stands next to me, but with a good 8 inches of distance between us. I'm so cold I'm shaking and my teeth are chattering. Graham is moving next to me and the next second he's putting his jacket on my shoulders.

-Thanks, I say.

We are silent again. Down below I see a little yellow taxi stopping in front of a apartment building. A guy walks out of the car with what looks like flowers, but I'm so high up and the light is so bad that it could also be a shovel. A girl runs into his arms and I figure he's got flowers in his hand. They kiss on the edge of the street before getting in the taxi.