[6]

The sound of the doorbell ringing sounded throughout their house and the sound of Brandy's mothers voice screeching her name was loud enough to cause the sound of her twelve year old brother, Benny, to 'ooh' at her as she passed his room which resulted in Brandy sticking her tongue out at him and for him to return the action. Brandy raced down her carpeted-covered steps, almost stumbling, and reaching her destination to see her mother caught up in the middle of one of her infamous snort-laughs; the one she had generously passed down to Brandy.

"Oh Brandy, this lovely gentleman just moved in across the street with his family," Her mother started to explain as Brandy moved around the door to see Ryker standing there in all his leather jacketed glory. Brandy smiled politely before turning towards her mother, who was a spitting image of herself, beside the fact that she stood at an astounding 5'6; the smile lines around her mother's cheeks told you she was a bit older but, could still pass as Brandy's sister. "He was just telling me how you have been tutoring him, Bran." Brandy cringed at the nickname her older sister had given her at the time of her birth when 'Brandy' had been too difficult to pronounce for the two year old. Brandy merely nodded, biting down on the bottom of her lip and glancing over at Ryker through the corner of her eye to see him leaning comfortably against the door frame.

"Mom, why did you call me down?" She asked, turning her attention back to the woman who had now placed her hands on her hips and was tapping her foot, impatiently, she was like a scene out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

"Ryker also informed me of the fact that you hadn't showed up to your tutoring session when you were scheduled to arrive." Her mom scolded her as if she had been a child found filling up on cookies before dinner. Brandy shrugged her shoulders acting as it was a simple mistake and her mother gave her a face that said, 'go now or else'. Before she could utter another word her mother thrust a pair of black, bows going down the side, boots and a jacket with their school name scrawled across the top that belonged to her sister, Bianca. Once outside, she put a boot on either foot and slivered into the sweatshirt as the freezing air nipped at her exposed face, she was sure it had been burnt a lovely shade of red by now. As they continued their journey she had managed to sneak a peek at Ryker who had a smirk scribbled across his chapped lips, and was rubbing his hands together to create some sort of friction, some sort of warmth. With a burst of confidence Brandy reached up and pulled one of his hands down entwining it with her own; to her own shock he didn't oppose it and he didn't even stiffen up, he only held her hand in his own, enjoying the heat emitting from her hand onto his and continuously spreading to his toes.

Ryker couldn't believe the boldness that she had within her, if it had been anyone other than the girl walking by his side he would have pulled away, but this was Brandy. They had finally reached the library and settled down in their usual spot, yet their hands remained locked tightly together. Their hands weren't glued or cuffed together, they had picked the option of not releasing the grip they had on each other.

"So, have you received any new notes?" Ryker casually asked using his free hand to reach into the back of his pocket and pull out a slip of white paper. Brandy smiled softly, barely hearing him as she was caught up in moving her thumb in a way that would create soothing, circular motions on the back of his hand. She replied, "No," just barley had she mumbled it out before looking briefly over at him and noticing a folded up paper become visible as it lay in the palm of his right hand, the one her right hand hadn't been holding onto. Before she had a chance to point it out, they had been interrupted by an anxious looking librarian,

"Brandy, dear, would you mind locking up for me? A family issue came up and now I have to hurry to pick up my grandchildren." Mrs. Callaghan, who had streaks of silver glimmering in her untamed mane of pale orange hair, asked as she hectically glanced around the building. Brandy didn't have the heart to deny the elderly woman, who was currently pleading with her almond shaped, emerald eyes that were shining with tears welling up, simple request. Nodding her head rapidly, Mrs. Callaghan gave a kind smile, but it didn't reach her eyes like her usual ones would. "Thank you, oh goodness, thank you," She held up her hands to wipe under her eyes and this was the first time Brandy had acknowledged the dark bags that occupied the underline of her eyes. A rusted key was placed on the table that sat in front of Brandy and she watched her retreating figure as she exited the library, only then had Brandy realized they were the only two in the two-story building and only then did she realize that the white fluff falling from the storm clouds had been pounding onto the sidewalks and streets. Brandy felt her heart stop as the lights flicked once, twice until it was as if someone had turned off the sun and the world was consumed in darkness.

Ryker felt his left hand become filled with wetness, but his right was as dry as the Sahara desert. He was reminded his hand was still linked with Brandy's as he heard the sound of whimpering and then a bright light was flashed into his eyes as quick as the mumbled apology that came afterwards. He was being dragged towards the entrance and the sound of a key being placed in the lock filled his ears as Brandy had locked them in the library, "Why did you do that?"

"It-it's danger-reous out there," She replied in a small voice, and before her brain could function she slipped her hand out of Ryker's hold thinking she had been a burden. Ryker smiled slightly as he watched her become a blubbering fish gasping for air, she was a sight to see. He didn't mind being locked up in a library with her, what he did mind is that she had let go of his hand. He didn't care if her hand was dripping with sweat, he only wanted to cradle it in his own. Ryker's voice was laced with humor as he asked her another question, "What is the sleeping arrangement?" Brandy felt her cheeks flush an unpleasant shade of red and was ever-so thankful for the power outage at the moment.

"H-how about we sleep on the tables." Was her suggestion, it had been a clever one at that, they were sturdy tables and capable of holding them up through the night. Ryker nodded, before remembering she could barely make out the outline of him and replied with a simple, 'yeah'. Brandy had thought about confronting him about the note but all of her confidence for the day had been used up when she made the gutsy decision of tearing his hands from each other and holding tightly to it. She had decided it was a question for another day.