Chapter 22: Benvenuto in Famiglia, pt. 1

Start from the beginning

In my mind I knew what he was going to tell me. Two months pass, and he goes to the grocery store and meets his future wife. Of course I'm the only one who knows this so I keep quiet to let him tell us on his own. The three of us hurried to put away the few bags he brought home and Dad called us over to the dinner table. It reminded me of when he told us that Mom had passed away, but this time I know he has good news to tell us.

"Okay," he starts, folding his hands in front of him. "I know you two may not want to hear this, but I should go on ahead and tell you. Last week, when I went to the market, I met a woman and we've gone out a few times since we first met, and I think I really like her. And I know this sounds weird for me to say, but I wanted to make sure you guys are okay with me dating her."

I smiled and nodded, and so did Cielo. "Of course," she said. "But, why would you ask us if you can date? It's not really about what we want, right?"

"I mean, I know you two still miss your mom and she's been gone for barely over a year, and your opinions matter more to me than anything in this world. Plus, I didn't want you to think that I don't love her anymore, which I do and I always will, but before she passed she told me to move on when I was ready. And I feel a real connection with her."

"Tell us more about her," I requested.

"Her name is Sandra Harper, she's a divorcee who's originally from England, and she works at a bank here in Sacramento. You guys would probably like to hear this too... she has a teenage daughter in the same grade as you, Anthony."

I cocked my head. "Really? Does she go to our school?"

He shook his head. "No, she goes to Rosemont High." I nodded... rival school girl, hm? Okay, Anthony, make like your nickname and chill out. I'm pretty sure she's awesome.

"When can we meet them?" Cielo asked excitedly.

"Is it okay if I invite them to your birthday party next week, Anthony?"

I nodded in agreement, then I heard some groaning on the couch. We were too busy talking about Dad's new girlfriend that I forgot about Steven who I left sleeping on the couch. I excused myself from the family meeting to rejoin him. I sat down beside him as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and looked up at me.

"Good morning, handsome," I whispered even though it was getting dark outside. I cupped his cheeks and kissed his forehead as Netflix turned off the movie we were watching.

"What time is it?" he asked, sitting up.

I looked at my phone. "Almost 8. You fell asleep like half an hour ago."

"I think I should be heading home now. I have to get up early tomorrow." He waved at Dad and Cielo at the table while I helped him get his stuff together. I walked out to his car with him and had a weird shiver. "Cold?"

I shook my head. "Not really. Just thinking about what Dad told me."

"Hm?"

"He just told me and Cielo that he's been seeing another woman for a week. I mean, of course I don't mind but I'm a little nervous. She's someone else we'll have to come out to eventually and I'm worried about what she might say."

He grabbed my cheeks and pulled me down for a kiss. "So what? If she can't accept who we are then that's her problem."

I nodded. "And, when I talked to Mom she told me that he was going to meet her and... don't tell him I said all this... but he's going to marry her someday too. She even told me that she's going to be great, so of course I'm gonna trust my mother when she says something like that."