Chapter 12: Thin Ice

"Shotgun!" Cielo shouted, running towards the front seat of Dad's car. I followed behind slowly, being pulled along by an excited Steven, his sister Scarlett running to the other side, while Dad came in last and locked the door behind him. "Besides," she started, hanging out the window. "I know you're gonna wanna cuddle up with your lover boy."

I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him close, carrying him to the car. "Sounds like a plan, don't you think so Stevie?"

He smiled and nodded, sliding to the middle seat beside Scarlett. "Are you ready for this, Chilly Willy?" he asked, snuggled beside me while I nod and put on my seat belt. Dad is driving and Cielo's making gagging noises at us in the front, Scarlett giggling at her too. Today's her 15th birthday, and to celebrate we're all going ice skating and meeting the rest of her friends - and, of course, Ryan - there.

I shook my head at the thought. Since their fight two weeks ago she seems to have made up with him, but I still don't like him. But in the end it's not my say on what she does with her personal relationships. Still, there's still some worry in the back of my mind, that things won't end well between them.

"Anthony?" Steven asked, bringing me back to my thoughts. I realized that while I was zoned out staring out the window, Steven was trying to get my attention the whole time. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I muttered and shook my head. "Yeah, I'm fine. I was just thinking too hard about something."

"As usual," Cielo chuckled and I stuck my tongue out at her.

"Anyway," Steven continued. "Have you been ice skating before?"

I shook my head no. "Yeah yeah yeah, go one ahead and call me a noob, you little Canadian." When I told Steven we were going ice skating today his eyes lit up and he bounced up and down in his seat. He later told me that he was born in Canada before moving to California when he was 2.

"It's okay, Chilly Willy, I'll be there to help you." He leaned in and kissed my cheek, taking my hand in his and resting his head on my shoulder. I stared down at the little Viking in his signature knitted red hat and smiled. I'm the luckiest guy on the planet to have him. Soon I leaned onto him, closing my eyes and, like Steven, letting a cat nap take over.

~~~

"Anthony, Steven, we're here," Dad said, shaking me and Steven awake. He stretched while I took back my numb hand and popped my fingers. We must have been asleep for a while, because the last thing I remember was leaning against Steven and closing my eyes. I hopped out onto the pavement, stumbling at how weak my legs were after the ride. Steven laughed and grabbed my shoulder, helping me get my balance back.

"You okay there, Anthony?" he giggled, weaving his fingers back into mine.

"Yeah, I - I feel like a drunk baby giraffe." At that he lost it and it took all of my strength to keep him from falling to the ground in laughter.

"But you're my drunk baby giraffe," he finally responded, giving me a kiss.

Cielo and Scarlett turned around in front of us to see what was going on. "Are you two okay?" Scarlett asked. "All I heard was 'drunk baby giraffe'."

"That was all you needed to hear, sis."

As soon as we entered the skating rink, I saw him sitting at a concessions table, scrolling through his phone. He looked up when the door opened and smiled when he saw Cielo, but refused to make eye contact with me. I haven't seen him since the day at the coffee shop and he probably still hates me for it. I feel the same, bud.

"Hey, you," she muttered, heading to him for a hug. He pulled her back and gave her a kiss, whispering something to her. Steven and I walked past them to the skate rental and I gripped his hand tighter. Steven took his other hand and cupped mine, rubbing circles on the back.