Chapter 42: Alpha vs Luna

Clare's POV: (Photo is Clare when she shifts in any other chapter, but she doesn't shift in this chapter).

I crossed Great Bear Pack borders before anyone could stop me or give me stupid excuses to reason. I was absolutely tired of being left behind.

As I continued walking at a steady pace through the thick trees and brush, I thought about possibly running another pack with Mitch. If I had to, I would grant Will as Alpha and Remi as Luna just so Mitch and I could start over only 10 miles away.

But it was still a new pack, a new start.

I had nothing other than Mitch, Will and Remi once Joshua and my father left. The only think I was concerned about was pack competitors. I didn't want pack rivalry and competition to pull Remi, Will, Mitch and I apart because it surely could. A wolf's pack, or family, is their first priority.

Crack.

I whip my head around towards the sound. A large branch had snapped and I could tell a wolf had broken it. I was only a few miles away from Blood Lust Pack borders.

I pretended to not worry about the branch breaking as I started walking at a calm pace again. I took deep breaths so that the other wolf wouldn't hear my quick heart beats.

Suddenly, I was tackled to the ground. I groaned in pain as rocks dug into my shoulder blades and spine. I looked up to see a black wolf with a jagged scar across his eye.

Ouch, that looks like it had hurt.

I growled menacingly as I pushed upwards, keeping the wolf off of my chest as much as possible. He snarled in my face, letting saliva and blood drip from his huge canines down to my face.

Looks like I'm not shifting.

I threw the huge wolf off of me, making sure he crashed into a nearby tree. Then, I walk up to him, my face covered in his disgusting saliva and blood. While he lay on the ground, I take the opportunity to spit at his face.

"You like that? Yeah. Neither did I." I yell at him.

Then, he stands up quickly, taking the chance to swing at me with one of his paws.

Did I mention his paws are almost as big as my face?

I felt blood trickle down my face as he pulls back his paw and lunges at me.

Now I'm pissed. Before he has a chance to touch me, I pull pack my arm, my hand curled into a fist and throw my entire body into a punch.

Since I have Alpha strength, he hits the ground hard and lays there, unmoving.

"Goddamn mutt, now my hand hurts." I say before kicking him one last time in the stomach before I continue my walk towards Blood Lust.

I would have killed the rogue but I knew he would think twice before attacked me again.

"We should probably go wash the blood off of us before Mitch sees us. He'll freak if he sees." Tris says.

"Good point but these gashes on my face aren't going away for awhile." I say back.

"Yeah, these cuts hurt. That wolf was really strong for a rogue." Tris says.

"He was most likely an alpha before. I wonder why he left his pack."

"Must've been a good reason if he was an alpha."

I just nod.

20 minutes later I find a creek and look at my reflection in the water. Two long gashes run from the bottom of my chin, through my cheek, to my left ear.

"He got me good." I say while washing the blood off of my hands and face.

After washing myself off, I only had another 30 minutes to the pack if I run.

So I do.

But not before I hear the creepiest laugh I've ever heard in my life behind me.