11. your yoda i am

Al's POV

I feel someone touch my arm, making me jump out of my skin. "Hey, do you need some help?" I turn to see Shawn smiling at me, as he takes a few of the piles of blankets out of the closet.

I stare at him in confusion. I could've sworn I was just outside with the watch party of Laur and Shawn make-out city. Maybe it was just a daydream?

"Al? You okay?" Shawn asks as his eyes search my face for an answer.

I blink my eyes a few times before smiling. "Y-yeah, I guess I just zoned out for a second there," I explain, shaking my head.

Shawn smiles and nods towards the back door. "I think we better head outside before people start thinking things," he says, heading towards it.

"Wait," Shawn stops and turns around, cocking his head to the side a bit to understand my next few words. "Shawn, why did you come inside? When I left you were sitting with Laur-"

"It got really awkward," he interrupts. I look to him and see him shift in his stance, an easy suggestion as to how uncomfortable he feels on the topic. "She wouldn't talk, she just sat there staring at me and I just felt really out of place without you,".

I smile and turn around to close the closet door with my foot. "That's kind of ironic considering how you barely know me, but they are all your childhood friends," I say bluntly. As soon as it leaves my mouth, I realize that maybe it was a bit harsh for him to hear. "I wasn't trying to be rude-"

"No, yeah. It's fine. Sometimes, the truth is needed, even if it hurts," he says. For a 16 year old, this guy sure is wise. Maybe he's learned a couple things since he's been touring and getting into the music business.

I smile and nod at him. We kind of just stand there, with piles of blankets in our hands, looking at each other. It didn't feel weird or awkward or uncomfortable. It just felt normal.

I notice the time passing by as we just stood there so I pass Shawn to walk out the back door to outside. Nothing was like my dream a few moments ago. Everyone is chatting up one another and it is the complete opposite of silent. The only thing that didn't change was Laur, who was making out with Brian on the log Shawn and I sat on earlier. This still counts as a version of déjà vu, right?

I begin to walk around the circle of students and hand out the blankets, seeing who wants to share and who wants a blanket for themselves. As I'm doing this, my mind travels back to my daydream. Why would I even imagine Laur smacking lips with someone she clearly dislikes? More importantly, why was I so upset in the dream?

I hand out the last blanket of my pile to Mel and Heather. I look up and notice Shawn awkwardly giving the couple making out a blanket to share from his pile. The face he makes causing me to try my hardest to not laugh. I shake my head at the scene and pivot to walk to the s'mores supplies table. I obviously lost mine to someone, which I may be a bit upset about, but I am going to make sure I at least have one s'more this evening or else.

I bump into someone's chest and step back to rub my nose. "Dork,". I look up to see Ian, my lips pulling into a big smile. I practically lunge onto him, knocking us both to the ground. Ian groans under my body weight. "Nice to see you, too," he coughs as his hands wrap around my waist.

"Sorry, I thought it would be really romantic, but all I really did was give you a few broken ribs," I kiss his cheek before rolling off him so we can stand up.

"Nothing broken, but maybe bruised," Ian comments, smacking the dirt off his khaki shorts. He sighs and then looks at me for a second, eyeing my clothing. "Is that my favorite sweatshirt?"