Chapter 2

"Hey, quit hiding from me!"

"I'm not hiding I'm working," Memphis replied to Caroline even though she knew she'd just clocked out.

"Really? You just clocked out," Caroline said pointing to the slip in Memphis' hand.

"Ok so maybe I did clock out but that still doesn't mean I'm hiding from you," Memphis said as she walked around the counter and towards the door.

"Well, I haven't seen you in a week, and that's kind of hard to do considering we work together," Caroline pointed out as she followed Memphis over to her car.

Memphis unlocked the doors to her car and climbed inside, as Caroline opened the passenger door and slammed it shut.

Memphis frowned at Caroline as she reversed out of her parking spot, "Hey don't slam my door it's sensitive."

"Oh, I didn't realize your car had feelings now," Caroline said laughing.

"Yes and you should apologize to him," Memphis replied as she rolled to a stop at a stoplight.

"Are you serious right now?" Caroline asked her voice full of disbelief.

"Very."

"Okay fine what's your car's name?"

"He's a free spirit and doesn't want to be known by just one name so he's nameless," Memphis replied as the light turned green and she rolled through the intersection.

"Oh Nameless, I sincerely apologize for slamming your door and because you have a psycho owner," Caroline said her tone dissolving into laughter at the end of her statement.

"I am not psycho," Memphis complained punching Caroline in her arm as her phone vibrated with a text message.

Memphis pulled her phone out of her cup holder and was going to give it over to Caroline to check it.

Caroline let out a loud scream, "Oh my gosh Nameless now she's trying to kill us by texting and driving. Save me!"

Memphis screamed in shock at Caroline's unexpected outburst and while taking a right, she jumped the curb narrowly avoiding the streetlight. She and Caroline both screamed in unison as the car rolled over the edge of the curb. Memphis glanced in her mirrors glad no one was around to witness what could have been an embarrassing one-car accident. She assumed that her tires had probably left a skid mark on the sidewalk.

"Why the hell did you do that," Memphis shouted at Caroline as she continued driving into their residential suburb as her heart continued beating extremely fast.

"I was being slightly sarcastic, I didn't know you were actually going to try and kill us," Caroline shouted back her voice louder than Memphis'.

"I was going to give the phone to you so you could check my message you idiot," Memphis said throwing the phone into Caroline's lap.

"Oh well, you should've just said that," Caroline shrugged as she typed in Memphis' passcode.

Memphis rolled her eyes at Caroline as she drove through the familiar streets of her neighborhood and made a left down Caroline's street. She glanced up at the sky glad that it was a clear summer afternoon, perfect for Amy's barbecue.

"You know I should change your passcode to something like Caroline is the most awesomest person ever,"

"Do it and I'll break your phone, and stop making up words," Memphis said as she turned down her street.

"Wow so violent I don't understand why I stay in such an abusive friendship," Caroline said as she pulled up Memphis' messages.

"You're here for the stellar conversation and my amazing personality,"

The ButterflyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara