Chapter 1: The Uninvited Guest

Audrey White- The Rise of Corona

The chirping of the cicadas and the howling of the street dogs was almost inaudible because of the domination it suffered from the incessant loud snoring of Mrs. White. Audrey frowned as she squirmed, turned and shifted her position to left and right. She also tried to bury her head under her pillow to at least get some moment of peace which she did not. Her mother snores were loud enough to even wake the sleep of the dead, so imagine her plight when she is alive! The counting of sheep also didn't work. She was annoyed to find that sheep number 321 escaped the barn. She looked to the widely-open translucent window at the sky. The stars twinkled in the pitch black sky; the moon was nowhere to be seen. She swallowed the emptiness of her life, she missed her father terribly. His companionship was the only thing she always wanted. His jokes (which were sometimes very awful) never failed to bring a pleasant smile on her face. His goodnight kisses used to swipe her sadness away. But pity is that he is not there. She let out a pathetic sigh.

Only if he wasn't an army officer.

Only if he hadn't gone to the war.

It was always a fear for Audrey to digest the fact that someday someone would deliver the news to her that her father didn't make it. The mere thought of that sent a shiver down her spine. She clutched her blanket close to her chest. The nostalgic memories kept replaying in her mind and taking the memories with her, she fell asleep.

THUD!

Audrey woke up with a start. Her mind was in a tumultuous roar. She felt irritated.

Who could be there in the middle of the night?

Must've been a cat.

She was having a hard time to keep her eyes from drooping down. So at last defeated, she decided to sle---

THUD

This sound was good enough to give anyone a heart attack. Audrey quickly slipped out of her bed. Her drowsiness now shooed off, she trotted down the stairs very carefully, not to wake Gladys (their housekeeper) who was sleeping downstairs in the kitchen. Surprise that the sound didn't wake her. "Aging, poor dear." Audrey thought as she made her way to the adjoining living room.

After seeing an action movie before going to bed, Audrey wished to see a criminal and blow his belly with a kick (in reality she would never want to).

She drawled closer and from the glassy sliding door, she saw an amorphous silhouette formed on the wall by the veranda's light. She at once stopped dead on her tracks.

Her voice shuddered. "W- Who is this?"

A sudden chill crept inside her body. Audrey shivered. A little part of her wished to dive into her warm bed. Shrugging the thought off, she calmed her veins and with the blessings of Bruce Lee, she proceeded forward and opened the sliding door which luckily opened without a creak. She mentally thanked her mother for lubricating the door this morning.

She squeezed herself through the little opening of the sliding door and looked to see who the intruder might be. She flinched at the sight of a tall, shovel faced and rugged looking young man.

A thief!

He's not even good looking!

And now her plan is to retreat back to her bedroom and clear her mind from the thoughts that nothing ever have had happened. She was too scared to move forward.

From then onwards she derived to a conclusion:

Heroes should only be confined within fiction. The use of their antics in real life can be injurious to health, mind, body, sound etc. Do it at your own risk. Caution.