Before Razel could reply, the sound of metal groaning met our ears. We turned towards the elevator doors to see it was being forced open. Not wasting another second, I tightened my grip on Razel's waist and lifted her up. She yelped but her hands reached out to grab the edge of our exit, and she struggled to pull herself up. With her pulling and me pushing, it didn't take long for her to succeed. She peered down at me once she was safely above the elevator. "What now?" she asked.

"Move," I ordered. "I also need to get up there."

"Right," she agreed and disappeared from view.

Just as I jumped and began pulling myself up, I heard the elevator doors give one final shriek of protest before giving way. I grunted as I used all the upper body strength I had to get out. Razel decided to help me by pulling on my arms, though I barely felt it. Still, it was the thought that counted. Peering down, I could see there were ten assassins entering the elevator. It wasn't long before their eyes zeroed in on the hatch and met my stare. I gave them a smirk. "How's it hanging?" I asked nonchalantly, but deep down I was nervous. What the fuck were Shadows doing at Wayne Enterprises? Were they after Bruce?

Speaking of Bruce, I was also worried for my adopted father. But I knew he could handle himself even better than me. And if I was doing a good job so far, then that could only mean he was also somewhere in his gigantic building, alive and breathing. Right now, my goal was to get us to his office. I knew from my earlier visit that he kept some of his toys there. I pocketed the folder I'd been carrying in my hand, keeping it safely within my suit jacket. As the Shadows began to follow us up, I turned away from the elevator and pulled out my favorite knife. It was safely tucked behind my jeans, and I'd brought it in case I ran into someone like Croc again. For once, I didn't regret my decision. Would you look at that?

Razel gasped again as soon as her eyes landed on my weapon. "No," I answered her unspoken question. "I really am not a spy, or whatever you're thinking." Offering it to her, I pointed with my other hand at the lines connecting the elevator. "I need you to cut those for me," I added.

She stared at the knife in my hand, then at the ropes of the elevator before her eyes went back to me. "Are you crazy?" she asked, before shrieking as the whole lift shook again. I didn't need to turn around to know the reason why. Throwing her the knife, I swiveled to see a Shadow standing behind me as another climbed out of the hatch.

"Do it, Razel," I growled, not bothering to look away from the Shadow and hoping she followed my orders. Our lives pretty much depended on it. Without another word, I charged towards the two who had successfully climbed out, not waiting for more of them to join the party. The good thing about the small escape hatch of the elevator? The Shadows could only come in one at a time.

I made quick work of the two Shadows, making sure to throw them back down the hatch. I heard multiple yelps of pain as those who'd been trying to climb up were crushed underneath the bodies of their two fallen colleagues, buying us time. Turning to Razel with labored breathing, I could see she had followed my instructions and cut most of the rope. "Good job," I panted as I walked hastily towards her and took the knife.

"Hey!" she protested, but I ignored her and cut it faster. "Are you still going to tell me you're not some sort of secret agent? How did you fight those guys then?"

"It's called skill, sunshine," I retorted as I tucked my knife back to where it belonged. Before the ropes could snap and send the elevator spiraling down, I grabbed hold of Razel. Her mouth widened in shock, as if she wanted to protest when her body made contact with mine. But the words died on her tongue as I wrapped my arm around her waist. "Hold on, tight."

"What are you-" she began. But the Shadows moved fast and they had successfully climbed onto the elevator again. Grabbing hold of another rope, I grinned at the menacing figures walking towards us.