o n e

Jaylee Irwin: hangout at my place tonight?

Me: yes!! wanna invite Luke?

Jaylee Irwin: but i thought we were gonna have a girls night :(

Me: sorry made a typo, I meant Luke ft Calum ;)

Jayle Irwin: ...i'm game

Me: yeah I had a feeling, I'll ask your dad if it's cool when class is over

Me: oh ok which is now, see ya in a few bb

As everyone quickly emptied out of the classroom after the final bell of the school day rang, I slowly put my things into my backpack. I was in no rush, after all.

"Audrey?" A voice said. I looked up, meeting the eyes of not only my AP Chemistry teacher, but my best friend's father, and the man I had been obsessing over since I had developed hormones.

I nodded, slinging the straps of the backpack around my shoulders. "Yes, Mr. Irwin?" I asked, looking into his light hazel eyes with my dull brown ones.

He let out a sigh, shaking his head. "How many times do I have to tell you? Just call me Ashton." He said, causing me to shrug. He chuckled. "I forgot to tell you, I graded that test that you retook last week."

"Really? What did I get?" I asked, my eyebrows raised as I made my way up to his desk where he was standing behind.

"A smashing ninety-five." He said, his face about to crack from his wide smile, his dimples showing clearly. Why did he have to be so god damn adorable?  "I still don't know why you just had to retake it. You got an eighty the first time you took it."

He was right. Why did I use up my single retake a semester on this test?

I shrugged my shoulders, pulling my bottom lip in between my teeth. "I don't know, I like to make my mom...proud, I guess." I said, unsure of what the real reasoning behind it was.

He nodded and I continued to speak. "Speaking of which! Is it okay if Jaylee has me, Calum and Luke over tonight?"

He nodded once more, sitting down at his desk, glaring at a pile of ungraded papers. "Of course. Late night for your mom?" He asked, a questioning tone in his voice.

I gave my head a small nod. "Friday is her busiest night." I said, trying not to sound too disgusted. I loved my mother, even if she was a stripper at a trashy night club and slept with random men on the side just to bring in a little extra crash.

"Will you be spending the night?" Ashton asked, his eyes not moving away from me.

I nodded once more. "Yeah, I don't really want to know who she brings home tonight. Besides, Calum will probably be spending the night at Luke's and I don't like being alone that much."

Ashton gave me a small smile, nodding his head once. "You can always come to me if you need anything, no matter what. My door's always open for you. Jaylee doesn't always have to be there, either."

I smiled at him gratefully, my throat dry from his last sentence. "Thank you." Before either of us had the chance to say anything else, Jaylee burst into the room.

"Audrey! I have big news!" She said, Ashton and I both surprise and wide-eyed from her grand entrance. She looked sweaty due to her having gym last period and her ponytail had strands of hair missing from it, yet she still managed to look good. "No, scratch that - breaking news!"

I looked at her, my eyes growing wider by the second. She was a hot mess. "What is it?"

She glanced at her father who looked equally as confused as I did. "Uh, I got an A on my Art project. You know, the one that took me, like, two weeks to finish." She lied, making me hide my smirk.