Dannon, seeming to catch a look in my face, smiled comfortingly.  “The TV show was funny,” he told me.  Whether it was the truth or just to make me feel better, I wasn’t sure.  But I was taking it.

“I didn’t understand it,” I said, my eyebrows rising again.

“Your loss.”

“If you say so.”

Dannon chuckled shortly before forcing himself to look serious for a moment.  My eyebrows rose.  His lips kept jerking upwards comically, making it so obvious that he wasn’t in the mood to be serious but felt the need to get the words out.  I had to dig my teeth into my lower lip to keep from laughing at him.  “You didn’t . . .” he began, “tell anyone about . . . you know, did you?”

I shook my head and patted his shoulder.  “Your secret is safe with me, bub.”

“Did you just call me ‘bub’?” Dannon asked, cocking an eyebrow.  “Should I be insulted?”

“Yes, of course you should,” I drawled sarcastically, twisting on my heel and trotting toward the kitchen.  Even without looking back I knew that Dannon was following me, his feet padding lightly on the hardwood floor.

Dannon gasped in mock hurt.  “Brianne, my must you hurt me so?”

“There is no reason.”  I turned and flashed an innocent smile at him.  “It’s just fun.”

Dannon chuckled as he and I plopped at the kitchen table.  Our conversation seemed to fall as we turned, watching Garrett as he stuffed himself like the pig he was.  He was eating ice cream this time.  He had no shame, he really didn’t.

“Where’re Mom and Dad?” I asked curiously, deciding to break the ever-growing silence.

Garrett barely took the time to take the spoon out of his mouth before replying, “Baby shopping.”

I snorted and shook my head.  He looked absolutely ridiculous right now.  Chocolate ice cream was all over his face, covering his lips and the area around it.  I even caught specks of it on his cheeks.  With a closer look I thought I could see some on his forehead, too, but I wasn’t quite sure.  I wouldn’t put it past him.  He’d gotten toothpaste on his forehead before.

“Oh yeah,” Garrett added, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, “I forgot to tell you.  We’re going to Aunt Jill’s this weekend.” 

I watched, fairly amused as Garrett grimaced at his now-chocolate covered hand and used his sleeve to rid his face of the remaining ice cream.  If he’ ever heard of the term “napkin” he sure didn’t show it.  Deciding not to comment on my brother’s actions, I smiled and turned to Dannon instead.  “You wanna come?” I asked, remembering what happened the last time we visited my aunt’s house.  The thought made me smile grow.

Dannon, who’d been staring in the refrigerator’s direction blankly, turned his attention to me.  “Yeah, sure.”  He smiled brightly.  “Maybe Britain and I can kick your butt at water balloons again.”

I scowled.  “That is not a memory I prefer to dwell on.”

Dannon opened his mouth to answer, but the voice that came out was not his.  Well, if it was, I would have been very concerned.  It was much too high-pitched to be a man’s voice.  Which made sense seeing how it was my mother’s voice.

“Garrett, did you wake them up?” my mom shrieked as she plowed into the kitchen, heaps of bags under her arms.  My dad waddled in after her, struggling to carry his load.  My eyes widened at the sight.  Damn, did they buy the whole store?