Chapter 14: Oh, the Devil's Gonna Make Me A Free Man

Mulai dari awal

Their reply never came about. "See you later....!" Was all you heard.

So you started the car, mournfully listening to the Christmas songs playing and went down the road to get on to your own business.

Had you been paying attention, you would've heard a voice laugh at you. The very same voice, to put it plainly.

"I'm watching you, nerd."

***

The stillness never ended.

You returned home, or actually, Caster's home and sat down on the floor, staring into the void. It was funny in a twisted way because you had time to think without being pushed to your limits. Your stomach wound had even healed rather nicely.

Yet, the voice was right, you realised in dismay.

You were rusty.

And it stung.

After all this time, the only thing keeping you alive was your wit. Your powers and wit. That's how Sherlock got things done. That's how problems were solved. But when evil died off or went to bandage wounds, you'd been playing it easy. The only one to blame was yourself.

Something wasn't right. You planned to figure out was it was.

"Let's make a list again. Shield?" You called, lazily playing a game. Nothing replied. "Absent; okay. Hydra? Absent. Awesome. Devil in Converse?" Not that he would reply, but you shrugged and decided that he too was gone for the present. "Also absent. Freak twins? Absent. Damn. Loki, aka Moriarty?"

As the silence descended a chill speed up your back. Were you really and truly alone? A few seconds ago, you would've said yes. Now, the shadows in the room gave an unnecessary darkness while you felt your veins freeze. There was definitely something amiss. Something afoot.

Then there was chanting.

It rang throughout the empty room, calling upon strange undead spirits unknown by name to you. A broken melody played in tune to the chants which grew louder and you drew back towards the wall, fearing the worst.

"Hello?" Came your call. To your surprise, the chanting and music stopped.

In its place was a black triangle that appeared with bright flames around its sides. Laughter that was familiar reached your ears. "Aheheheh. Ahahahaha!" The fire died and a long shadow in the shape of a Dorito more or less stretched until it touched your feet. At that point, you jerked them backwards. What the heck was going on?

When the laughter didn't cease, you jumped up and ran out of the house. With Caster at school and his Uncle away for the week, (he'd met you and although he wasn't happy about Caster keeping you a secret, you'd became more or less a family and he'd entrusted the house to you), you dashed out into the now rainy streets alone. You found your heart beating with adrenaline you had in fact missed, but you didn't want to admit to anything of the sort.

You ran as far as possible. Course, there was only an hour or so before school let out, so you had to watch where you went. And you didn't. Your feet took you to the edge of the city, where a hill rose up towards a tunnel and old train tracks.