11| Fatherly Surprises

Start from the beginning

I walk over to Lady Catelyn, grabbing her hand. "I cannot thank you enough for the life you gave me.... I know Brandon will pull through this. He is the strongest of us all." I softly drop her hand, walking towards the door.

"Charlotte...."

The desperation in her voice caused me turn back around. "I may not show it, but I will always consider you as my own child. Eddard, too. We love more than words can express. Stay safe in Winterfell. I know Sansa and Arya may disagree, but watch over them. I can't lose another child."

"I will do everything in my power to keep them safe." My words were forced, but full of reassurance. They still viewed me as a Stark.... I exited the bedchambers quickly, hoping to the Gods that Catelyn didn't speak anymore heartfelt words that would shatter the new loyalty trying to form in my heart.

•••

Too much grief for one day. Returning to King's Landing should be a joyous occasion. Returning? It's hard to correlate such a difference between 'returning' and 'visiting for the first time'. It was the place of my birth, the place I came into the world.

But I was not even two months old before I was taken-stolen. I remember nothing. It was never my home.

King's Landing would be a new experience for me to engross myself in. Am I ready? I have to be ready. Am I truly ready? No way in Seven Hells.

*~*

My mother was waiting patiently for me outside. She welcomes me into an embrace as I neared her. I ask quietly. "Why was I never told?"

"It's not something a mother wishes to tell her child."

Her words left me with no response. She didn't want me knowing that as a mother, she had lost two children. One was taken by fever, another by a thief. I kiss her cheek softly, hoping my actions would speak louder than my unspoken words.

She places her arm around my shoulders, taking me in the direction of our bedchambers. "Have you finished packing?" I nod quickly, refusing to outwardly express my nervousness and unease. "You have doubts?"

I froze in place, my eyes widening to the size to an otherworldly size. My breath catches in my throat, allowing no words to escape. My mother turns, lifting my chin with the push of her finger. "Reluctance is written all over your face. Please tell me what bothers you. "

I stare down at my feet, refusing to look in her eyes. "Charlotte?"

"Cersei! The King wishes you to be present as he bids his farewell to the remaining Stark family in Winterfell." Jaime approaches the two of us, unaware that he was interrupting our lack of conversation.

She hisses in his direction. "Can it wait?"

"No, My Queen. He said the request was urgent." Jaime eyes the two of us, lifting one eyebrow suspiciously.

My mother continued to stand in front of me for tens of seconds, the tension between us growing with anticipation. "We will finish this conversation at a later time." Her words were soft and refined, not something I expected to hear. She kisses me on the forehead, and departs with Jaime.

Together they walked toward the banquet hall, her words still repeating in my head. We will finish this conversation at a later time. We were leaving for King's Landing in less than three hours. There isn't much time left.

•••

"Charlotte.... Father wishes to see you now." Myrcella walks into the room, followed by our mother. I currently stare at the pilled full trunks laying around my room. "What's the occasion?" I ask, continuing to stare at the trunks. All of my things that I called my own were able to fit it in three trunks.