6| Birthright

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like an armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

Charlotte's POV

Charlotte's POV

It's been two hours since the big reveal. I've been standing in the banquet hall, pacing around the stone floor as though I could walk away my problems. The Royal Feast was being prepared around me. The cooks and servants getting frustrated whenever I was in the way. I couldn't blame them, however they knew not of the battle I was fighting inside my head.

Trying to escape, when running wasn't the answer. A never ending battle of relinquishing control and swearing fealty to complete strangers.

The Queen was sitting at a nearby table watching me, her eyes never leaving my constantly moving body. No matter how many crowds I walked through, or how many tables I passed, her eyes never left me.

"Charlotte?" Her voice rings in my ears.

I had unknowingly stopped pacing near the table in which she was sitting at. I turn my head towards her. "Yes?"

She smiles softly at my acknowledgement. "Sweetling... The feast starts in less than an hour." I nod my head, her words initiating no response whatsoever. I heard a sigh escape her mouth. She walks, laying her arm across both of my shoulders. "I can help prepare you for the feast. Accompany me to my bedchambers."

She begins to walk forward, and my feet unconsciously follow her.

*~*

The Queen sits me down in a chair facing the wooden vanity, fingering through the waves in my hair. Her hands work quickly, styling my hair in a delicate up-do. The braid falls down my right shoulder, ending near my middle stomach region. "It's beautiful... thank you." She beams, pulling me towards the closet where I knew her gowns were hanging.

Not her too...

She began to flick through the gowns, pulling one out from time to time. "Close your eyes." The happiness in her voice was blissful. "You will be the light of the ball."

"But we are not even going to a ball. It's a feast with food."

She nudges my shoulder softly. "Does it matter?"

"Technically, no. Wait a second... Do you know something that I don't? " I await patiently to hear an answer as I held my eyes close. The room goes silent. "You heard nothing from me."

"I'll try to act surprised."

A few moments of silence pass as I hear her rummaging through more dresses. "You can open your eyes now." Her voice comes from behind, startling me. I open my eyes, finding myself staring at the most beautiful dress in all of the Seven Kingdoms. "Oh my..."

The bodice was dazzling with gold sequins. Is that real gold? Intricate silver detailing lines the outer bodice. The waist consisted of a sheer overlay, which appears to be form fitting. The skirt would flow over my ankles in length. "Put in on." I stare at her with awe. "I am not worthy to wear such a dress." My words were shaking as I continue to stare at the dress.