Chapter 8: Breathless

Start from the beginning

They may have sounded like great people, but I couldn't shake the feeling of it turning out similar to what happened last time. "It smells great in here, what are you making?"  I found myself somewhat frozen in place when I heard an unfamiliar muffled female voice coming from behind the bathroom door, and then a sweet joyful chuckle that sounded very similar to Mark's laughter.

It didn't take me too long to realize that the voice I heard must have been his mother and although I was nervous to meet his parents I knew I couldn't hide in the bathroom the entire evening. I allowed my eyes to flutter shut for a moment and I drew in a deep breath trying to shake the nerves, and open my eyes again when I felt I was as ready as I'll ever be.

With just having settled my nerves, I ran my hand back through my hair giving it a final toss before proceeding out into the hallway and out into the kitchen. As I walked out into the kitchen, with my head hung, I finally had a sense of what Mark must have been feeling when he met my parents. My heart was pounding, my knees were shaking and my mind was racing a million miles an hour, although I tried my best not to let it show.

I brought my head up from the hardwood floor, and made eye contact with the first person in my line of sight, who had became dead silent as soon as I stepped foot into the kitchen. "Awe, Mark she's beautiful. Hello sweetheart," an older Asian woman cried out making an advance towards me with arms open wide.

She wrapped me in a warm embrace, which reminded me a lot of how my mother would hug me. As nervous as I was, her touch was a sorts of comfort. "Hello, Mrs. Fischbach. It's so nice to meet you," I greeted her pulling away from her hug. Her eyes beamed with warmth, and her smile was angelic. 'I guess I know where Mark get's his smile from.'

My eyes darted around the room for a brief moment, Mark's mood seemed to have shifted since I began to get ready. He didn't appear happy nor sad but rather he seemed content. However, it was just the three of us in the kitchen and I was under the impression that I'd be meeting both of his parents.

I stood back, swaying back and forth on my tiptoes, unsure what to do or say. Although his mother seemed like a very sweet woman, a part of me still felt somewhat shy and intimidated. Just looking over at Mark, I knew just by the expression on his face, he could tell I was still somewhat uncomfortable and immediately he dropped what he was doing. I gave him a reassuring smile just to let him know I'll be fine but, he made his way over to me regardless.

His hand trailed from my shoulder down to my hand, and he intertwined our fingers for a brief moment before giving me a kiss on the forehead "You're doing fine," he whispered pulling his lips away from my head, and just flashed me a quick smile. "You want a drink baby?"  I heavily weighed on the offer for a moment.

One glass of wine wouldn't hurt and perhaps it would make me a little more social. I'm usually rather good with new people but after what happen with my parents, I wanted desperately for Mark's to like me as well, and perhaps a drink would calm my nerves. "Yes, plea..."--"I like... what you've done... with the place."

I was cut off when I heard yet another unfamiliar voice. This one was male, and was very broken coming from behind me. Before I could turn around to see who was speaking, I had a light hand grip on my shoulder. "Excuse me dear," the faint voice said and I scooted a little more off to the side.

I could only assume the gentleman behind me was Mark's father, and questioned how it was he ended up down the hallway without my knowledge, but shrugged it off assuming he went down there while I was in the bathroom. When he appeared in front of me and headed towards the nearest chair, I'm sure I had absolute shock written across my face.