Chapter 8: Breathless

"So I-uh invited my parents for dinner this evening." I leaned back onto the kitchen chair and watched as Mark began to unload the dishwasher, putting each dish away immediately upon retrieval. Hearing the word 'parents' made my blood run cold, and my heart race. After what had happened when he met my parents, realizing I'd now be meeting his made me somewhat nervous.

His parents were rarely something Mark ever mentioned. I couldn't deny my curiosity as to why all of a sudden not only was he bringing them up but, I'd be meeting them. Talking about his parents always seemed to be a touchy subject. As to why that was, I really never had the slightest idea but I respected that his family wasn't apart of him that he wanted me to see very often.

"That's great babe. I look forward to meeting them but, I don't get it. You never mention them, and now you spring it on me that I'll be meeting them. What gives?" Mark sighed, slamming this dishwasher shut before he even finished unloading it, and joined me at the table taking the seat on my left.

His eyes seemed glazed over, and his upper lip began to quiver when he looked into my eyes. Immediately my insides began to turn. Something about the way he was acting didn't seem like himself. He clearly had no desire to discuss the matter, if anything he looked to be in pain but not physical type of pain.

I could sense he was hiding something, and seeing his facial expression before he finally replied to my questioning made me feel guilty for prying. "I know but, if you don't meet them now I have a feeling you never will. I'll explain later, alright?" As much as I wanted the explanation now, I respected it was something he didn't want to discuss and I certainly didn't want to pry.

There was a moment of absolute awkward silence. I spent that time trying to really get a reading on him, and the only thing that was very evident was he seemed quite upset. There was something about the silence that was unsettling, and after just talking about his parents the mood in the room had made a quick switch to something a lot more heart wrenching.

I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was but, deep down I knew there was something wrong. He had fallen back into his chair with his head sunk into his chest, just staring blankly down at the table seeming as if to be completely lost in thought. All color had disappeared from his face, and I really thought he was about to break down.

I reached across the table, and took a hold of his hand while I observed his body language. Mark looked like he was on the brink of shutting down, and that's when it really hit me that whatever this was really about, it was bad. I knew there was something heavily playing on his mind, which was only confirmed when Mark tore his hand away from mine and ran it back through his hair. There was a wet consistency to his eyes as he looked up at me, which absolutely broke my heart.

"They'll be here in about in a little bit. I need to run to the store and get something for dinner. Why don't you get yourself ready while I'm gone." There was a shakiness in his voice as he spoke those words which seemed to mimic his trembling body perfectly and for whatever reason that gave me a terrible sickening feeling. Now more then ever, I wanted answers but I rose to my feet trusting all my questions would be answered in due time.

Before heading off to take a shower, I stopped behind his chair, and kissed the top of his head like he so often did for me when I was down, as if a means to remind him I care. As I pulled away and began to walk down the hall towards the bathroom that's when I heard the most surprising sound. Soft sorrowful whimpers, coming from the kitchen.

***

As soon as I heard the doorbell ring, my heart sank to the pit of my stomach and instantly I got chills. By the way Mark talked about his parents or at least WHEN he talked about his parents, he made them seem like they're relatively easy going. I knew I had no real reason to be nervous but after what happened when Mark met my parents, I couldn't help but be somewhat anxious. 'What if I don't make a good impression? What if they think I'm too young for him?'