Chapter 24

The sound of metal being unclasped brought a smile to my face.

I slowly rubbed my wrists to make them feel better. The cuffs weakened my strength so getting them off made me feel slightly woozy, but Trent was there to hold me up. And I gulped down the glass of blood that he gave me so fast that he was heading back upstairs to get another one, but I pulled him back to me and stared intensely at his neck and then back up at him.

"Please?"

He nodded his head, my fangs extended, and they were in his neck before he could change his mind. This time I made sure I didn't take too much blood, just enough to make that amazing noise come from his lips.

When I pulled back he stared at me with amusement as I licked the rest of the blood off my lips slowly. When he was leaning in I thought he would lick it like those cheesy movies, but instead he moved the pad of his thumb to remove it and reached for my wrist to give a small kiss on my mark, making my body act in strange ways.

We walked up the stairs hand in hand.

A crowd of maids and workers were surrounding the area clapping with smiles. It's like they forgot all about me trying to kill the prince. Or they just didn't want to remember, I sure didn't.

My thoughts wandered back to Jen, I still had to ask Trent some questions.

"Trent, I have to—"

He covered my mouth with his hand. "Hold that thought for a second, I know that we have a lot of catching up to do, but I want to show you something."

The group of people expanded to go back to their jobs as Trent and I ran up the stairs and into his office. His whole desk was cleared except for one paper with a pen placed next to it.

I walked up to it and read the title: "Blood Bank," after that was a bunch of information about the changes being made to make it safer, and at the bottom a black line.

"And this," Trent pointed to the line. "Is where I sign to make it a legal document." He took the pen and in delicate cursive wrote out his name. Then turned to me as if waiting for my approval. I couldn't help but smile at him. Why couldn't Jen see that he was changing for the better?

"Chloe, what's wrong? Are you okay? Do you not like it?"

"I love it," I said, reassuring him. "It's not that I'm thinking about."

"Than what are you thinking about?"

The pen was placed back next to the paper, and his full attention was on me.

It was now or never. "Do you remember when we were down in the basement you said it wouldn't be the first time that Jen tried to hurt someone else close to you. Who was the first person?"

He got taken aback from my question, his eyes adverted from mine. "No one that you would have known."

"That doesn't matter; I still want to hear the story." I hesitantly reached her his hand, but he pulled away. He must have seen my saddened reaction, that he slid his hand into mine.

He sighed and looked me up and down. "First take a shower, I'm sure that you want to freshen up now, and put on a new pair of clothes." He was stalling, but when I looked down at my outfit, the one that I showed up in, I decided a shower was a great idea.

"You promise you will tell me when I get back."

"I promise."

I almost forgot. "And—"

He already knew what I was going to ask. "The shower is two doors down."

I gave a small smile to him, it's so easy how I forget and get lost in this place. I exited the office and followed his instructions to the door, and instantly when walking in Trent's smell of spearmint hit me; this was his room. I didn't think too much of it as I took my shower and exited finding undergarments, a sweatshirt and a pair of half leggings. The maid must have laid them out for me. Quickly putting them on, I headed back to the office.