Ch.67 - Molly First, Denial Second

Start from the beginning

But Molly won't let to of Charlotte. Screams when she tries to detangle them from one and another, and Robert--well. He levels her with a flat out look of don't even think I'm leaving you unprotected.

Though they both know she'll try and convince him otherwise.

What she wants to say right now, but can't is she has had enough and my sister is coming to be safe with me. That no one else gets to hurt my Molly ever. No one but me can be trusted to hold her close and say it's all going to be okay. That the only person who can truly protect the young one is her big sister.

Molly pleads for forgiveness. Sniffles and cries broken sobs, saying that she knew she shouldn't have run away or yelled but she was upset and she did. That she was running to keep Char Bar safe.

She, she doesn't know how to respond to that but Charlotte asks for Molly to promise her not to run away again, to wait for her big sister to keep her safe--but then as they pull up and see four boxes of Charlottes things outside, the conversation drops.

She shouldn't have let it drop. Should have made Molly make that promise. She should've.

"You should keep the car running, Robert." Speaking just above a whisper as Molly stares out the window in a daze, still hiccuping and clutching Charlotte for dear life.

He shakes his head, knuckles bloodless as he wrings a hold on the leather steering wheel. "I don't want you around Don. That fu--ugh. Jerk. Not after..."Glancing to Molly as she sucks at her thumb, going to hit at the wheel but softens it, frustration simmering. "Not ever. Not you or Moll."

"Trust me, as much as I want to go have words with him, I can't. Not when Molly is so... shaken. And and she refuses, like you, to let me go in there alone where I could maybe rip him apart, but that's not what she needs right now. Not what she's asking or wants. And you can't get into trouble right now with custody over Ava so balancing over a fine legal line."

"Its because Moll is literally shaking that I don't give a flying ffffff--freak about what happens. I'm not leaving you two alone with him. I know I'm being stubborn about this but your safety--and, and--I am not budging on this. At all."

She wants to say she can defend herself, can defend Molly, but she isn't sure, not when she's proven that false in the past and now. So she sighs heavily, can't even wrap her brain around what's literally in her lap at this moment. Too full of shock, and livid anger, and memories and disappointment and fucking everything. She feels everything.

Trying to forget that it all hurts. That shes on fire and ice cold and dying a slow torturous death from repeated demons. Denial settling in the crooks and cracks of her brittle bones. Withered and weathered by life's games, but shock and revolted unconscious knowing of what's been inflicted. Is somehow, sorta, maybe calm because the picture isn't clear (but it is, it is), maybe she's denying what seems so apparent (she is), so it keeps her thoughts in line, because Molly needs her sanity. Needs her security. Needs her big sister to take care of her and protect her, and that's what she's going to do.

"I'm coming too right?" And that's Molly. Gripping and clutching fiercely at Charlottes shirt. Tears wetting the shoulder where she curls around the elder. "Please, don't leave me. Please, oh please. Char Bar. Please."

Charlotte doesn't want this. She doesn't want her two most beloved people looking at her like this. She doesn't even want to go back in there, that house, place, hell hole. now that she can't scream and call the authorities on Don. That all that can come of this is either yelling or crying. But maybe Molly's pain can be avenged. Maybe. If she sees him. Don. But now, even though she thinks they should just drive away and call the police, Molly wants to go get her stuffed animals for their sleepover. Wants her school things. Wants her sketch book and pyjamas. And for some reason, Charlottes small hope that she can stare daggers at repulsive eyes and a bald shiny head, that that reason has her agreeing and saying, "We get in and then we go, that's the plan. Quick and simple."