Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Decisions

Two days after the wedding, Sage entered the kitchen with a twin on each arm. "I'm taking the boys to the auction today," he announced.

"Yeah," said Toby, and hugged his father's neck.

"We're gonna help Daddy buy a new horse," Preston said proudly.

Sarah grinned. "I think Daddy needs all the help he can get."

"At least our being out of the house will give you ladies time to visit and do all that girlie stuff." Sage emphasized the word and looked at his sons, rolling his eyes.

"Oh, yuck," said Toby.

Preston wrinkled his nose.

Sarah laughed. "You boys just wait. Someday you're going to meet a girl and fall in love."

"Oh, Mommy, girls are icky." Toby squirmed down from his father's arms.

Sage chuckled and set Preston down, too. "Toby, I think you and I are going to have to part ways when it comes to that. Mommy's a girl and I adore her."

Preston said, "Yeah, Toby, Mommy's a girl."

"Mommys are different." Toby climbed into his chair. "Mommy, I'm hungry."

Sarah winked at Ann. "It may be a cliché, but no matter how old, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

Ann laughed at the easy banter between Sarah and her family and watched Sage bend to kiss his wife's cheek while she flipped a flapjack. He whispered in her ear and she giggled. It was cute the way they teased each other.

Sage patted his wife's bottom and then sat between the boys, helping them butter and pour syrup on their flapjacks. He mused, "The kids should be on the high seas by now. Um, I guess I should stop calling Julie and Jacob kids now that they're married."

Ann said, "In some ways, I think they'll always be kids to us. My parents still call me their little girl."

Sarah brought more flapjacks to the table. "You're right, Ann. My parents do the same thing."

After Sage and the boys left with Newt, Sarah said, "Well, since all our parents and my sister left yesterday, looks like we've got  the day to ourselves. What would you like to do? Sage just finished a big photo spread for Livingston Fashions and made a butt load of money. He can afford anything we want to do or buy. Do you want to go shopping, get a massage, a facial, you name it."

"I wouldn't feel right–"

"Ann, not another word. It makes me happy to spend money on my friends, and Sage wants me happy. Not that I could be anything but that with a husband like him. He could be as poor as a church mouse and it wouldn't matter."

"I'm game for whatever you want, Sarah."

"I swear you are the easiest woman on earth to please. Do you have a selfish bone in your body?"

Ann didn't know how to reply. Instead, she said, "So, how was the wagon train adventure? You held it a little earlier this year."

"Yeah, we were trying to beat the hot weather. It was so much fun. I wish you could have been there. It was the first time we've allowed the boys to go and they loved it!"

"I wanted to come, but I still had too much to take care of, what with selling the house and the wedding."

"I can only imagine. Now that the zaniness of preparing for the wedding is behind us, I want to hear about your plans for the future. Have you found another house to buy?"

Ann looked at the table. "No, not yet." Willing herself not to tear up, she blinked rapidly and then glanced at Sarah, forcing a smile.

Sarah wasn't fooled. "What's wrong, dear friend?"

Sarah's sweet words lodged in Ann's heart and the floodgates opened. Big tears pooled and then overflowed. "I'm so sorry."

Sarah placed her hand over Ann's. "You can talk to me. I want to help however I can."

Ann sniffed and blotted her eyes with a napkin. Her nose sounded stuffy when she answered. "Oh, Sarah, I don't know what to do. I...I...feel so lost. After Jerry died I found out he'd gambled everything we had away. He'd even mortgaged the house. I've sold just about everything to cover his debts. I've got to find a job, but I've never worked. I've always been a stay-at-home mom." She sobbed, "I have to be out of my home by the end of the month."

"Honey, why didn't you share this before? You shouldn't be burdened with this alone."

"I didn't want to spoil anything for Jacob and Julie. Jacob thinks there was a hefty insurance policy, and there was at one time. I just couldn't have him worrying at such a happy time in his life."

Sarah patted her hand. "I understand."

Ann blew her nose on the napkin.

"I think you should move here," Sarah said matter-of-factly and reached for Ann's coffee cup. "I'm going to refill our coffees and then we're going to relax on the back porch and sort this out."

"I don't want to become a burden to my son or anyone else. I was thinking I'd see if I could get a job with an agency that cleans houses." She gave a half sob, half laugh. "I'm really good at cleaning."

Sarah poured almond mocha creamer into their coffees. "Come on, hon, let's go outside."

Ann followed Sarah through the kitchen door and into a beautiful screened-in porch with views of rolling pastures. She sat in a jade green lounging chair and Sarah sat in the deep chocolate one next to it. For a few minutes they watched cowhands tending cattle in the distance.

Sarah said, "As I was saying, I think you should move in with us until you're back on track. We'd love to have you. You could make the guest room to your liking. We could redecorate it any way you want."

"Sarah, I couldn't impose on you and Sage."

"I know you don't believe this, but you are not imposing. We love you and want you to stay however long it takes to get back on your feet. You can look for a job in town and when you're ready, we'll help you find the perfect place. Living here, you'll be close to family and friends."