two

something about her stood out. she had his full attention. something was tugging him towards her by the chest.
niall wasn't sure how it happened, but seeing that short, curly headed girl walk out smiling and laughing with her two friends, things just clicked.

that's what was missing.

her happiness would just radiate onto him. he could just see her making him laugh real laughs and filling his emptiness with whatever feeling it was he was craving. he doesn't remember what it feels like not being so empty and dull, but it was on his mind constantly.

she looked so alive and niall felt so dead.

niall then had a moment of doubt. how would he even get her to spend time with him? even if there was something familiar about her that itched in the back of his mind, they were strangers. what if he was wrong about her? what if she's just a girl and niall's more desperate than he thought?

niall battled with him self, one foot on the dirty gas station tile and the other the cigarette butt covered concrete as held the door open. but as he stood there watching her giggle to herself and messing with her nails, she looked up.

and he was shocked. he had never seen such a vibrant green. nothing ever looked so real. he'd never seen true happiness set in someone's eyes. it looked at home, like it belonged there.

instead of niall's breath catching in his throat he let out a sigh of relief. relief because he just /knew/ that this is what would make him feel whole. she wasn't some silly girl niall had is eye on, and that was made a fact from then on.

niall swiftly looked at the cashier and it sounds silly but for that split second it felt wrong, not looking at her. not trying to be close to her. niall will never admit that.

he jogged to where she was. his thumb rubbed his sweaty palms and fingers twitched. "h-hey" he struggled to get out but came out louder than he wanted. she turned towards him and smiled. "uh" niall was so incredibly nervous. she gave him a slightly confused expression but niall just kept staring at her eyes. he couldn't stop looking at them.

he blinked back to focus. he was so embarrassed. "um, what's your name?" he asked trying to keep his cool but his curiosity was clearly evident. he shoved a clammy hand in his pocket hoping she didn't hear any desperation.

the three girls looked at each other, wide eyes and burst into more giggles and laughter, flinging open the car doors and throwing themselves in.

he didn't think about how much of a creep he'd come off as. he could feel how hot is face was.

"look at you embry! get it!" one of the girls giggled as they drove off to the sound of loud music and surprised shrieks.

embry.

he ran his hand through his hair with a small smile and breathy laugh because her name just seemed to fit so perfect. niall made his way back the the cashier, sliding him his cash with red cheeks as he tried to avoid all the employees judgmental looks.

niall walked back to his dirty silver/blue car feeling like a balloon slowly deflating. the excitement or whatever feeling she gave him was being replaced with that similar sadness that itches at him everyday.

niall frowned at the familiar feeling as he put away the gas pump and sat in the drivers seat. he hated this feeling. he hated how he wanted to lash out because of it, but he just felt too weak. niall didn't want to be weak so that made him want to lash out more. but something in his mind kept convincing him he was weak and worthless. it weighed him down making him slump in his seat and put his head on the steering wheel. it was all such a mess. niall often felt like if you drew his mind it was just be scribbles. dark, heavy, paper tearing, scribbles.

he closed his eyes and saw hers.

embry's vibrant glowing eyes with crinkles at the end.

niall didn't know if he was smiling because of how lovely she was or because how silly it seemed to miss someone you just met. he began driving back home thinking of her and her only. she was familiar he had seen before. mentally niall set out a mission for himself, he was going to find her again and he was going to finally be happy, things would finally be good.

❁❁❁
authors note:

this story is done with my best friend, the lovely papipayno and we will be writing this entire story together . go follow her because she is amazing and rad af.