chapter 3

calum's eyes immediately opened after he heard luke speak, and his cheeks turned a bright red. he simply buried his face into his neck, which he soon realized after that it was a good idea. he pressed a gentle kiss to his skin, making the boy squirm and turn so that they faced each other.

"cal!" luke whined, giving the other boy a pout along with puppy dog eyes.

"luke!" calum replied in the same tone, making him pout even more. he furrowed his eyebrows and turned back onto his side, so his back was facing cal again. he let out a small huffing sound, closing his eyes and stuffing his hands underneath his cheek.

"aw, babe." luke heard from behind him, and he felt calum's arm pull him closer to his chest. the nickname made his stomach twist, but he figured it was in a bad or uncomfortable way.

"go to sleep." he whispered, and felt calum nod behind him. he would never admit this, but falling asleep in that boy's arms caused him to have the best night's sleep he ever had.

-

"what the fuck.." luke jumped, awaken by michael's voice. he moved onto his back and rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand. the blinds were opened, by michael, making luke wince and shield his eyes even more.

"what the hell happened when i was gone? what are you two doing??" the standing boy sounded like he was freaking out, and luke had no idea why. he just glanced beside him, to find that somehow calum was still asleep. his arm was now across his stomach, and for some reason he held back a smile.

"i um.. i was scared. we watched a movie, and he jokingly said he would protect me..?" luke lied, but did his best to sound confident. he wasn't the best liar, and he sure hoped mikey did not know that.

"okay.. weird." he mumbled, walking off into the kitchen and leaving the two boys laying on the couch. luke was not positive, but he thought he saw michael frown when he saw them next to one another.

-

"calum." it was now an hour later, and the boy was still asleep. luke did not move, he was on his side so he could admire the sleeping boy's features without anyone knowing.

"calum!" luke whined even louder, scrunching up his nose as he poked cal's cheek. "come on, wake up!" he pouted, and started to poke his cheek repeatedly.

"okay, okay." cal grumbled, his voice low and raspy. the sound made luke's heart race, and that confused him, but he forgot it happened after his happiness consumed him.

"finally!" he whispered softly, trying to hide how excited he was.

calum sat up and picked up his arm, but luke stayed on his side. luke watched as cal glanced across the room, michael was sitting in a chair on his phone near them.

"why are we so close?" cal asked, as if he had no idea what happened the night before.

"you.. you don't remember?" luke asked, sitting up with a frown clearly on his lips. calum only shrugged, making the boy look down at his hands.

"how could you forget, you weren't drunk." he mumbled, his voice no longer soft. he knew cal could tell he was hurt. he simply stood up, keeping a straight face until he made it into the kitchen.

luke sat in one of the chairs, putting his arms on the table. he rested his forehead on one of his arms so no one could see his face, he was confused and hurt and he didn't understand what was happening to him.

"luke.." he didn't hear any footsteps walk into the kitchen, so he jumped when the voice was right behind him. although, he didn't pick up his head. "i'm sorry. i didn't want michael to go around and tell people i slept next to a boy." after that statement luke looked up at him, tears welling up in his eyes.

"so you lied. is it because you're embarrassed of me?" he mumbled, standing up from his chair. he was only a little bit taller than cal, but he didn't have to look down at him. "or is it because you are too worried about your damn reputation that you can't care about my feelings?" with that he turned around, waiting a second until he walked away again.

"hey, i didn't mean it like that." calum tried to grab for the boy's arm to turn him around, but luke easily pulled it away.

"goodbye." luke whispered, shaking his head as he walked out of the small kitchen. he turned and went down a fairly short hallway, going into the bathroom and locking the door behind him. he figured cal would follow him, so he sat on the toilet while covering his ears as the boy started shouting apologies through the door. he would not respond, he refused. he had no idea why he was so hurt about it, and he hated not knowing things about himself.

"leave him be. for now, at least. he does this when he's upset." he then heard mikey's voice, and calum stopped talking. he heard footsteps walk back into the living room, and luke mentally thanked michael for making him stop.

luke stood up from sitting on the toilet, setting his hands on the counter as he stared at himself in the mirror. he was definitely insecure about his body, and he would do anything to be confident with himself. he then thought that maybe he was hurt because calum lowered his confidence even more, so his worry went away.

-

michael brought luke's phone to him, and also told him that calum was still there and refused to leave until luke came out.

luke thanked him, unlocking the door and taking his phone. he quickly shut it and locked it again, paranoid that cal would be standing there for when he opened the door. he licked his lips as he rested his back against the white wall, sliding down it and landed on his butt.

he unlocked his phone, going to his contacts. his thumb hovered over a girl's name, dakota. his best friend since fourth grade. he then huffed and pressed her name, holding his phone to his ear as he dialed.

"hello, luke." he heard her answer on the second ring, making him smile that he could finally talk about the situation with someone.

-

after he quietly explained what had happened, dakota was silent.

"are you still there?" he murmured, frowning as he thought that he retold the story for nothing.

"yeah, i'm here. luke.. do you know your sexuality?" she said in a small voice, obviously not trying to be offensive.

luke thought about it for a second, he never really questioned what his sexuality was.

"no, i um. i really don't." he covered his face with his hand as he face turned red, even though he knew no one could see him.

"is it possible that you could like boys?" she whispered, and he rubbed his face with his hand.

"yeah, i guess so.." he then shook his head, he didn't want to believe that he could be attracted to calum. it would only get him hurt and he knew that. "thank you, kota. i'll see you later." he didn't wait for her to reply, hanging up the phone and putting his face into his hands.