xxxvi. CAT AND MOUSE

Começar do início

"It's a shame, really; that you have no idea what you are," he continued, Foster's breaths becoming ragged and choppy as he spoke. Her blue irises had flickered back toward him, her heart hammering as she realize he knew what she was. "In fact, you're just like you're mother. Shielding you from this and the supernatural though. . . " He made a tsking sound. "Not smart, not smart at all. Because now you're here unaware of just how strong you are." He chuckled at this, like a schoolgirl who knew a secret everyone wanted to know, and he didn't plan on telling. "It's unbelievable that your mother never told you or your father, you two had no idea, did you? 

"Even worse? There's only two bloodlines in the entire world that holds the gene for what you are. Do you know what that means, Foster? That means with your mother in a coma and no one knowing who contains the other bloodline, you could be the only one of your kind," he continued, a hint of amusement to his voice, almost like this was a game. Then again, this was a game to him. 

Foster trembled as she continued making her way toward the end of the hallway, her eyes widening when she noticed a gate in the distance. Tall, iron barricades kept it in place, her hands immediately curling around them before swinging the gate open with ease.

Quaking with fear, Foster demanded, "Then what does that have to do with you?"

This time, rather than a chuckle, the Nogitsune had released a bark of laughter. He laughed manically, her words being the funniest thing he had heard in a long, long time.

"What does that have to with me?" he reiterated, laughing once again as they continued down the narrow hallway. "I may have tainted the abilities of the last one of your kind. This is the kind of thing that will go down in history."

Foster pushed herself to move even faster as the Nogitsune picked up speed, finding amusement in the entire situation. Here Foster was, completely unaware of what she was and what she could do while this thousand year old spirit seemed to know every twist and turn of what she was.

As she continued on, Foster was met with another iron barricade, her heart hammering in her chest. Her slim fingers wrapped around the iron tightly, her knuckles becoming white with how tight her grip was on it. She shoved it forward, hearing it rattle, but it didn't move. Leaving her trapped with the Nogitsune.

Beside her was a staircase, another gate at the end of it. She was left with the option of trying to open that one or this one, but before she could choose, the Nogitsune was right back on her.

His chest pressed against her back, Foster yelping in fear. She hadn't even realized he had covered this much of the hallway while she was contemplating her decision. She was too busy trying to fathom what he had just said to her about her and her bloodline, and what that all even meant.

Her breath hitched in her throat as the Nogitsune took a stand of her hair, despite being behind her, and tucking it behind her ear. He could practically feel her squirming, itching to get out of his hold, but this was all too much fun for him.

"The trickster stories," he began, his lips brushing the tip of her ear as he began to explain why he truly wanted her here in the first place, "are all about food, Foster. The coyote, the raven, the fox; they're all hungry." Shivers ran down her spine as her trembling became more feverish, the Nogitsune finding delight in her terror. "I'm the same. I just crave something a little. . . different." At this point, he was now pressing his face up against her head, burying his face in her blonde hair as he felt the darkness around her practically pulsating around her, his mouth watering at the though of consuming it. "I eat what you feel, I'm insatiable."

Foster gasped, fighting back the tears that were now pushing themselves against the back of her eyes harshly. His hand roughly curled around her forearm, yanking her forward and twisting her around to face him.