24 | Let's Not Shit Ourselves (To Love and to Be Loved)

"Oh and the Blues, I got the Blues! That's me! That's me!" - Let's Not Shit Ourselves (To Love and to Be Loved)

-

The rest of the car ride was quiet and tense. Drake wouldn't so much as glance at Sophia, no matter how many apologetic looks she threw his way. Just watching was uncomfortable on its own. By the look on Sophia's face, I could tell she was feeling a lot more than just discomfort.

The car finally pulled to a slow stop, and Drake immediately threw off his seatbelt.

"Let's go." Drake huffed, exiting the car.

Sophia hung her head and quietly sighed before following behind him. After Sophia's door closed, I let a few moments pass before deeming it safe enough for me to at least sit up.

However, as soon as I peaked up from under the blanket, the car door closes to me flew up open. A squeal of terror shrieked past my lips, and I jumped sideways as far as I could, pulling the covers with me. My attempts to hide soon halted, once I heard a deep laugh next to me.

"Thanks for the heart attack, Weston. Really appreciate it." I muttered, pulling the blanket away from my face. Drake looked down at me with a cheeky grin.

"Maybe you just need to learn to be sneakier." He suggested jokingly.

"Really? I'll get right on that." I responded in a flat tone. I can't even walk down the hall at night without waking up everyone in the house. And that was before I had crutches.

"Anyways, I came to tell you that if you hear screaming call 911. It will most likely be Chris screaming because I've stabbed him." Drake paused to roll his eyes when I gave him a look. "Fine, I won't stab him. I'll text you if something happens or if we're on our way back."

I nodded at him in understanding and then the door was closed, and Drake was walking into the coffee shop. I made a valiant attempt to see through the glass and find the trio, but it was useless. The most I could do was tell myself to calm down and wait.

I was only successful at one of those things.

Δ

Chris had lied. Of course.

He tried to pin it on an innocent kid on the football team. He was in a few of my classes, and I saw him in the hallway every now and then, but we've never spoken more than two words to each other. I've never even heard him throw slurs my way. All's he has ever done to me is exist.

"Drake are you sure it's not Xavier?" Sophia grilled. "I mean, he looks really-"

"Trust me, Sophia. it's not Xavier." Drake gruffed. Sophia should trust Drake, my leg, my ribs, and everything else Chris has fractured or broken.

Sophia let out a dejected sigh and leaned back against her seat.

"I just want this all to be over so that I can be with Avery," Sophia confessed into the empty space in front of her.

My cheeks turned red under the blanket, and I could tell Drake was doing everything not to pull a smirk. He opted to ruffle Sophia's hair with a teasing smile I'm sure was meant for the both of us.

"Everything will be okay," Drake promised. "Just let me and Seth take care of everything.

After glaring at him, Sophia gave Drake a thoughtful look.

"Fine." Sophia caved. "But I'm going to call Avery to make sure she got home okay."

Before Drake could snatch the phone out of Sophia's hand, her finger's dialed my number faster than I could. If I had the time, I would've been flattered. But there was no space between Bright Eyes' "The First Day of My Life" blaring throughout the car and Sophia turning towards the back seat, more perplexed than she has ever been.