“What did you say?”

  “You heard me,” I said, well tried to say, my jaw was too sore for me to talk properly.

  Then it went quiet, he grabbed onto my shirt and pulled me up the stairs to my bedroom. Once he’d shut the door, he slammed my body against the adjacent wall to it. As soon as I hit it I dropped down to my knees; it could only get worse from here.

  “Please, dad! I'm sorry!” I cried out.

  I always try not to show any weakness in front of him but it hurt so much that I couldn’t fight back the tears anymore.

  “I won’t do it again.”

  “That’s what you said last time,” he said as he took a run up, and then kneed me in the chest, making me cough over and over. It hurt so much.

  He picked me up again, but I quickly squirmed away from him and jumped onto my bed. I’ve no idea why I felt safer there, I just did.

  As he came closer to me I lifted my knees up to protect all of the organs he could probably damage otherwise. It didn’t make much difference though because he grabbed hold of my arms and just lifted me up and flung me onto the floor like a ragdoll. I screamed as I landed on my right shoulder, which I'm sure dad dislocated earlier.

  “Get lost!” I screamed at him, but of course he didn’t.

  “Why were you drinking?” he shouted looking down over at me.

  “I don’t know,” I cried.

  “Wrong answer.”

  His large feet started kicking me. Kick after kick after kick after kick.

***

  Around ten minutes later he was finished with me and I was aching all over. I looked over at the clock from where I was sitting in agony on the floor. It was seven thirty already, Liza’s party started half an hour ago.

  I stood up and cradled my bad arm. The pain I had everywhere else was easing, but my arm was only getting worse. I knew it was dislocated, it had to be. I had a brief idea of how to pop it back into place. I knew it would hurt like hell, but I had to try.

  I screamed out it pain, it was worth it though. My arm went numb for a few moments, and then started throbbing. I tried to relax again but I couldn’t, my arm was still killing, even if it was where it should be now.

  I knew I’d feel weird doing this but I had to see how big of a mess I looked right now. I looked in my mirror and cringed a little. I was bright red around my eyes and down my cheeks from the tears and I was slightly blue around my jaw. It wasn't really noticeable and the redness will calm down soon.

  I then slid off my shirt and looked at my right arm, it looked terrible! It was red and black and blue and purple all at once and then there was the dry blood around my wrist from my mum’s ridiculous nails.

  “Looks like I’ll be wearing long sleeves tonight,” I sighed.

  However, when I looked in my wardrobe I didn’t have anything decent with long sleeves so I had to wear a jacket with a pair of jeans instead. After I was dressed, I fixed my hair into place and smiled at myself in the mirror. I really don’t look too bad after all of that. Dad’s clearly not as powerful as he thinks he is.

  By the time I was ready it was just after eight o’clock, so I knew my mum and dad would be too drunk to notice me leaving. The hard part was that all of the doors were locked, so I had to find a window.