02.

chapter dedicated to @jcsminc and @buterasbooty

IT had been a week since Wes' big event when Nick found himself lying on his desk, falling asleep on top of his notebook.

Nick liked to write. He liked to write short stories and poems, finding inspiration in anything that would surround him, and that is what Nick probably liked the most about himself: he would always notice even the smallest detail.

But being summer and almost 95°F outside, he regretted signing up in the writing contest his town was hosting.

Nick wouldn't even try to go out. The sun burned so roughly that you could probably bake an omelet on the sidewalk. But that was antigenic and childish, so Nick didn't do it.

The paper was filling slowly with drool when there was a buzz next to the boy's head. His eyes opened slowly as the buzzing continued and Nick turned his head around to look at a message on his phone.

From: Garret

I'm coming to pick you up. We're going to Dan's place.

Nick grunted and closed his eyes again for a moment. He was uncomfortable as the sheet was getting sticky against his cheek, but he was too lazy to move. He felt himself fading when his phone buzzed again, making Nick grunt loudly.

From: Garret

I can see that you read it, so you better be ready.

As Nick was going to type an answer, his phone buzzed once again.

From: Garret

Bitch

Nick jumped up from his chair and put on a gray shirt, straightened his shorts and went to the mirror to look at his appearance. His usual eye bags were there as always, his hair was messy so he brushed it with his fingers and it was only then that he noticed the drool stain running across his cheek. He wiped it quickly and headed downstairs to wait outside for his cousin.

Nick had been out for two minutes when Garret finally pulled up with music blasting as he rolled down the window.

"Come on!" he complained as he saw how slow his tall cousin was going.

Once Nick was up, he accelerated and drove his way to Dan's house.

"So how's the assignment thing?" Garret asked.

"It's not an assignment," Nick said "it's for a contest."

"Yeah, that thing." said Garret, making Nick chuckle slightly.

"Well, I would say I'm almost finished but I would be lying."

"Wow, is your writing-ness thingy going down?" Garret asked while glancing at his cousin.

Garret knew his cousin would usually finish his poems or stories in a week and since he was so creative, it would always turn out to be good. But it was already the second week and hearing that from Nick wasn't usual.

"Well, it's a contest after all." Nick said quietly, not convincing himself entirely.

"And what are you writing about?"

He sighed in frustration, "a dude who wants to fix a motorcycle so he can do... stuff."

There was a momentarily silence between the relatives. Nick didn't know where the story was going, and Garret grasped that fact when his cousin didn't give too much detail. In the silence, they exchanged what words couldn't explain.

"That's fucked up." Garret said after a while.

Nick closed his eyes and sighed, "I know."

"Well, you can always use us as an inspiration," began Garret "I mean, look at Adrian's hair, it's a fucking masterpiece." he joked.