Add Some Zing

I lay in bed with my eyes closed, savoring the feel of sunlight pouring through the window, warming my cheek, and the soft decadence of sleeping on a mattress after many nights of being on the floor. I haven't felt this good waking in a long time. Emily was right—I needed to get away.

"I like big butts and I can not lie."

Speaking of Emily. I roll over and answer my phone. "Morning."

"Morning? It's night here," she says. "How are you?"

"Sleeping." I rub my eyes and lay on my back, staring up at the ceiling.

"So?"

"I'm still in bed?"

"Oh come on, Mia. I want to hear about yesterday. Did you meet the hot guy?"

I smile, a wave of giddiness filling me. "Yeah, he was my ride."

"And?"

"No and, he just, uh, well he." I blush, thinking about all the little exchanges we shared, not sure which to tell her.

"Did you kiss him?"

"No!"

"Mia, you promised."

"I know," I sigh, "I...uh, almost did."

"What! Tell me everything."

I walk her through him catching me, carrying me to the jeep, lifting the boxes, climbing over me, our almost kiss, the goodnight exchange with the peppers, and finally, that he lives next door.

"It sounds like a dream," she says with a sigh. "So when are you going to kiss him?"

I roll my eyes. "We're just getting to know each other. But," I can't believe I'm telling her this, "it would be a lie if I said I didn't want to. The man is the embodiment of spice."

"Kissing is part of getting to know people. So is spicy kissing."

My cheeks heat at the thought. "Maybe for you," I say, glancing around the room, my eyes landing on the suitcase covered by a blanket in the corner. A part of me believes that as long as I can't see the words painted on the front, I won't let them penetrate me. But I know it's stupid really, they're already deep inside.

The white plaster walls have a few pictures I hadn't noticed last night. I pull myself out of bed, hissing when my toes touch the cold tile floors. The first picture is of my grandmother holding a sunflower. I fight back the feeling of loss.

"Today is a fresh start," says Emily. "And take it from me and my experience. You're only there for a short time, the sooner you kiss him the better. Then you can move it along to the more fun things."

"It is a fresh start," I say, only half listening as I stare at a picture of Yaya when she was about my age. Her arms are out and she's dancing, a huge smile across her face. She looks so full of life.

"What do you have planned?" Emily asks. "Anything with Niko?"

She giggles when she says him name. He has that impact on people.

"No," I say, tracing my finger over an intricately carved wooden dresser. "I'm meeting Elpida today and was thinking of going to a beach." I can't wait to explore it—from the plane, the water was inviting, and more turquoise than I'd ever imagined. I spent a good ten minutes daydreaming about taking up morning yoga on those shores.

"You haven't met her yet?"

"She was at a party."

Emily laughs. "She's something else. I only talked to her once and I know this."