Chapter 03

REMEMBER MORE

CHAPTER 03

Their car pulled into the sprawling mansion that was their home. Once they got inside, Yan helped to wheel John down the hall and into the study at the very end of it.

They found Jonas already inside the room, seated in the studded, leather couch that sat in the middle of it and facing out into the garden at the back of the house. Jonas got to his feet and turned to them when they came in. "Dad. So there you are."

John wheeled himself over to his son. He stopped on the other side of the coffee table. "Well, it's good to see you, Son. How are you? How was the flight?"

"Good." He smiled.

The eyes of the two men met. They smiled at each other. Jonas stood where he was, hands in his pockets, rocking on his feet a little. John sat still in his wheelchair. Jonas coughed into his hand and then they both looked away at the same time.

Yan’s eyes were on Jonas. They flitted over to John and then back to Jonas again. Frowning, she marched up to Jonas and hugged him, catching him by surprise. "How are you?" She squeezed him tight. "It's been such a long time!" She eased back. "And the research? How's the research going?"

"Good...good!" He studied her up and down. "Still as sharp as ever, eh?"

They laughed.

John waved over to them. "So, are you all right? Would you like something to drink? Tea? Anything?"

Jonas rolled his eyes at his father. "Dad, I just came back from China. I don't think I need any tea right now."

John nodded. He smiled.

Jonas ambled over to the wheelchair to stand over John. "So, what's the big deal? You had something important you wanted to tell me. Isn’t that what you said in the email?”

John coughed. And then he coughed some more. Once the coughing started, it didn’t look like it was going to stop.

Yan rushed over to John and began stroking down his back.

John waved his hand at her. He pointed to the other end of the room.

“Yes, sir.” She nodded. “I’ll get it.” She hurried down to where he was pointing. Opening a cabinet door, she pulled open a drawer and retrieved his cough tablets. That end of the study where she was standing was lined with tall storage units, some refrigerated, some not, but all filled with odds and ends and medical supplies, including needles and syringes, IV bags and enough assorted medicine to make any self respecting pharmacist green with envy. A few feet away, beside the cabinets by the wall, was a full functioning hospital bed, all plugged in and ready to go.

Yan stepped over to the sink nearby and got a cup of water as well. She brought these things back over and crouched before the old man. John's coughing had slowed down by now, but he took the medicine from her anyway. He swallowed two of the tablets with water.

“Better?” She smiled.

He nodded. “Thank you, dear.” He glanced over at Jonas and then back at her. “I’m sorry, Yan, but…”

“That's all right, sir.” She straightened up. “I’ll go and see if the cook can make up a snack or something for the two of you.”

“That sounds great.” Jonas smiled at her.

“It’s so good to see you again.” She squeezed Jonas’ hand again before she left.

~~~

After she had gone, Jonas turned to the older man. “Well? I’m here. What is it that's so important that you had to tell me face to face?”