[40] You took my heart, could I please have it back?

Start from the beginning

"Why an early one?" I asked. "Why not tomorrow?"

"Because your friends have something planned for you tomorrow…"

I perked up; so it wasn’t just Lily with something to hide. I decided I'd get Alex or Kyle to tell me at school tomorrow, because getting Lily to tell me was like an ant trying to get an elephant to move.

We left shortly afterwards, still in casual clothing; it was McDonalds, for crying out loud. Strange as it was, I was looking forward to dinner, even if it was at a fast food place. I always looked forwards to dinner now because it was pretty much the only time of day dad and I got time together.

The car ride was short and the restaurant was busy when we arrived. The tables were packed with screaming little kids, boisterous teenagers, parents and random builders getting their dinner, and the atmosphere was hot and humid.

We ordered at the front where there were posters showing the burgers etc. I ordered a normal burger with coke and fries. Then we squeezed onto a table at the edge of the room and sat opposite each other, beginning to munch on our food.

As we ate we people spotted, having a laugh, watching as a guy with a bright pink Mohican and his friend with a green one walked in.

"Just your type, eh?" dad chuckled. I hit him playfully.

"Hell no," I said as he laughed.

"How about him?" he asked, casually flicking a hand at some ugly builder guy sitting near us. I just gave him a look.

"Dad," I said sternly, barely able to contain my laughter. He smirked and continued to 'match make' me with someone, while I laughed at him.

"How about him?" he said randomly, pointing in the corner to some fat balding guy. "He looks a good 'size' for you," he said with a wink. It took me a moment to realize that he was being dirty.

"Dad!" I exclaimed, shocked as he laughed.

"So how's the band?" he asked, changing the subject. I smiled. "It's good. I like the start they've made on the new song and I should learn my part pretty soon. I can't wait to hear it on electric guitar!"

"Great! Will you be performing it?"

"I don't know, maybe," I said, making a mental note to ask someone about it.

We finished our really unhealthy but tasty dinner and then left, too full for dessert. We left still laughing and joking, my dad still making jokes about me with random guys. I couldn't help but feel elated.

My dad and I were normal again.

{~Unknown POV~}

I kept the hat over my face as I strolled casually down the road, trying not to look conspicuous. If anyone recognized me then I was in deep shit.

As I walked, I saw a door open and a man and his teenage daughter stepped out of the door. They both looked vaguely familiar; an old friend and his daughter? My mind froze but I kept walking, my eyes widening. An old friend. Steve.

It looked exactly like him, and his daughter was an exact replica of her mother. Same chocolate brown hair, high cheekbones, delicate features. Only her eyes were different; her fathers'.

But why was Steve suddenly happy again? For he was undoubtedly happy, talking to his daughter, smiling. The last time I had seen him he had been an alcoholic, drowning his sorrows in liquor. I was glad I hadn't done the same in his situation.

Frowning, I decided to follow them. They got into the car and so I hailed a taxi and got in. We were just behind them, so when they stopped outside McDonalds I was quick to follow them. They ordered their meals and sat down while I just stood in a corner, watching them.